Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Ich on my new Clowns! HELP!!!!

just noticed some ich starting to develop on my 3 day old (in my tank, not babies) clowns. tank started at 76 deg, then i gradually increased it everyday till now and its at 79-80. so i just cranked it to 82-83. should i increase the temp anymore to helpp them out? i just put 2 firefish in there too. are they at risk? everything seems ok besides the ich. waters fine. i wonder is it because of the colder temp combined with new fish? i have 2 cleaner shrimp in there too but the clowns don't use them. i dont have an anemone yet. waiting on the RBTA from AC. i dont want to medicate the fish because they are pretty settled in the rock work. the ichs not too bad but i dont want it to get out of hand.

please make answers concise. only helpfull advise is welcome LOL. no "should of's" and "could of's" please

My clown got ick a few times, raising the temp will help relax him. I'd buy some garlic extreme or something of that nature and soak all food in it.

All your fish could possibly get this if they are stressed as well.

I have Seachem's Garlic Guard and if I'm not mistaken it says it can also be added to water (not only fed) I contains allicin which is produced when garlic is crushed or damaged. This possess the health benefits we look to for garlic.(cause it comes from garlic ) The first time or two I fed this stuff he didn't eat it now he loves it.

When my clown got it last time I put a tupperware container (on it's side)in the spot he liked the most and he took to that as a nest and I don't know if it helped him stress-out less but he lost the ick with a few days and it hasn't come back. He love that nest. If (big if) you're fish is in one area it probably wouldn't hurt to give him something he can go into to hide and relax. It may take some time but it won't hurt.

Unfortunately there is not much you can do for them while their in your display tank that's real effective. Being that you are thinking about an anemone and perhaps corals later on you don't want to be treating them in the display tank. There is a REAL good chance that the fire fish will also come down wit hit soon as well. the best bet is to move them to a QT tank and treat them there. If you decide to ride it out make sure you have good circulation because higher temp water holds less O2. All of the fish I currently have in my tank came down wit ha big case of ick shortly after I got them so I put a UV on my tank and the ick cleared up pretty quick and I did not lose anything. There are however drawbacks to using UV. It kills EVERYTHING that passes through the unit .. good or bad. Check out the article thats at this site on treating ick.
    Rob

thanks cake!
    i have already added garlic elixer. and temp is at 83. the nest idea sounds like a good one..might try it. i hope it does'nt get worse.

ok rob!
    i have loads od circulation in the tank. if they get really bad ill have to Q them.

MORE HELP PLEASE!!

Aquaman .. If you are in a position to do a QT tank the sooner you get them into it and being treated the better. Ick re-infects exponentially so it can get out of hand rather quickly. If you can QT them do so.
    Rob

Originally posted by aquamann
    MORE HELP PLEASE!!
    I know this is easier to say than when I was going thru this but RELAX or you'll get ick next int:

If you try the tupperware idea this is a helpful hint.
    1)weight it down with a rock cause it'll float away

2)put it on it's side and try to make it so that he can see out but feel secure

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...marineich.html
    That like will help you

ps. don't want to disagree with ya OSD but sometimes Q-ing a fish especially if he's relatively new is more stressful than leaving him be. I'd try the homeopathic path for a bit before tossing him in yet another new tank.

thanks cakey!
    do ya think theres a chance that the ich will pass on its own?

This could be old news but ich can only be treated effectively by hyposalinity or copper. All other methods are hit and miss.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

Originally posted by clown_fish
    This could be old news but ich can only be treated effectively by hyposalinity or copper. All other methods are hit and miss.
    Quote from that link
    **It is worth noting that many people have had apparent success with adding garlic to the food of infected fish. Garlic is well know for its therapeutic effect, particularly in humans and it is possible that the same active ingredients may be effective in fish, too. As with other treatments, it is difficult to assess the effectiveness of garlic as a dietary supplement. The theory behind the use of garlic is to aid and strengthen the fish's immune system's ability to recognise and react to the parasite. **

and

**Does stress cause "Ich"?

Stress and poor water conditions do not cause marine "Ich", although they will lower a fish's resistance to infection and impair their immune system. If C. irritans is not present in a tank, it doesn't matter what how stressed a fish may be, it cannot get infected. In a tank where parasites are present, stressed fish are more likely to show signs of "Ich" before more healthy fish, but the healthy fish are just as likely to become infected as the numbers of parasites increase. Those fish species that are less susceptible to "Ich" or those individuals that have an acquired immunity, may show no signs and may not get infected. **

The fish has got ick because he's in a new enviroment, q-ting him will only stress him more *especially* since he's only been in there 3days.

I'd go with the garlic for a time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast