Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Maxi-jet's and BTA'S

im getting a rose BTA this week and have 2 MJ 1200's in my tank along with the rena. i plan to run the tank on the mj's alone and leave the rena off.
    my question is has anyone had any experience with Maxi-jet's and anemone's. i have them running with the guard on them. but am not sure if i should arrange some rock around them.

ADVICE PLEASE!!

maybe i should have been more descriptive. im afraid of the bta getting sucked up into the filter:blink:

liv
    with the protective thing on it.. dont think so.
    but to be safe.. do what u think is best.. i've never seen one being sucked with those things on.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

ijo
    They can actually.. I had one getting real close and a few of his arms got shredded. Keep an eye on him.. when he's in a stop you like.. feed it. Chances of him moving from the spot you put him are in the high 90's.

Ivan

thanks guys

Ivan,
    What happened to your BTA that got damaged? Did it go into hiding or did it end up dying?
    I'm asking because this thread is exactly a situation I went through just over a week ago. I had a super healthy BTA and all of a sudden it decided to move. Last time I saw it in the evening, it was about 6" from a powerhead that DID have one of those strainers just like in Aquamann's pic. Next morning the entire BTA had dissapeared into thin air!!! I was then noticing here and there in the tank, tiny pieces of orange tentacles on the sand. I assumed it did in fact get damaged by the intake, even though the slits were so small!!??? I also know that an otherwise healthy Anemone has a remarkable ability to regenerate itself after being damaged and will often shrink up into a small ball while doing so to hide. I have been searching the tank daily to see if I could see it anywhere and so far I haven't found a single trace. I'm figuring that if it did indeed die, I would have seen it by now. Even though it may have originally hid or hung on somewhere under a rock, if it died it would have just fallen off onto the sandbed and I would have seen the remains. For this reason, I'm assuming that it is still alive somewhere in the tank and hiding. I also know that apparantly, nothing will eat an Anemone, so the cleanup crew wouldn't of finished it off.
    By the way, I was feeding mine and it was gulping the food down, yet still decided to move..., much to it's demise... I think!!!

funny thing about BTA,s they seem to want to move alot. I had the LTA and found it to be much more of a stable fellow.
    but hard to find a super nice color'd LTA.

My BTA has been in the same spot for almost two years. He moves an inch or two once in a while, but other than that, he's been pretty stable. I know that this isn't the norm for BTAs, but I've gotten lucky.
    Jason Nugent
    http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

I just have 2 BTAs left now but at one point I had 7. They all started from one little one I bought from the LFS. It moved when I first put it in the tank but only a few inches and then stayed put until I removed it. The only time it moved was to split and then it came back to exactly the same spot.

I always figured a happy anemone will stay put. However, this isn't necessarily the case as I know of others who have had very healthy anemones who just decide to go walk about for no apparent reason.
    Susan

I have always been told that a happy one will stay put too, but in all hoesty, who are we to say what makes them happy. I'm sure it IS true that if they were happy, they'd stay put. I just wish they read the same books as us!! Even if they are healthy, gorwing, feeding, etc..., there must be a reason that they move???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast