Attaching a leather

I read on reef.org that you should take a pin and at the base of the leather insert and attach (sew or sorts) the leather to a rock. Glue obviously didn't work and so I tried the sew thing and it's attached but this really didn't sound like a healthy thing to do.

It also suggested inserting at the base a plastic toothpick and inserting the toothpick into the rock or glueing it but I don't have any plastic toothpics so I went for the sewing method.

Anyone else use this method? Any other method work for you? Glue obviously didn't work and it's staying put right now. I didn't tie it too tight but it looks like it's pressing down not to the rock but the fleshiy part looks flatten out a bit, is this normal or should I loosen it a bit?

I used a plastic toothpick to attach my leather. It was only a frag so it was easy. I can imagine that a toothpick would have a hard time holding down something large. I'd say what you have done is alright. I don't really understand what you mean by "it looks like it's pressing down not to the rock but the fleshiy part looks flatten out a bit"

Sewing it is fine..., these are tough buggers!!! You want the thread to be tight enough to keep the leather touching the rock for it to attach but not enough to be exerting any type of pressure. When it's too tight, what usually happens is as the skin moves to expand or contract, the thread often cuts it's way through the skin and it will become unattached. Keep a watch on it and if it seems to be attaching, once it looks like it has, you can remove the thread much like stitches after an operation. For the future, you can also use "plastic" toothpicks but never the wood type.
    When all else fails ( including your sewing), you can place it in position on the rock and cover it with some open netting or veil that is loose enough for it to move somewhat but tight enough to keep it in contact with the rock. The netting will usually get dirty and ugly covered with some algae after a few days but if you're keeping a watch on the leather, it should do fine and once it seems to be attached, remove the net. It doesn't take long for a healthy leather to attach. Even just a small part that has attached is often enough to keep it in place on it's own while it continues to attach.
    As a rule, glue will never work on anything that doesn't have a hard surface or skeleton. It should never be used directly on any flesh of any coral.

It's not exactly exerting pressure but I'm afraid when it starts inflating it will, so I'm going to take some veil and attach it that way.

How many days should it take? I don't want to mess it up by removing it to early by checking.

Elastic bands work well also...in the right location.

With softies I usually get a glass fill it with coral rubbell and put the coral in and for me in a week it finds it's favorite piece and locks on.

Great ideas thx guys

Gools,
    I usually do that with things such as Ricordias, but things that are bigger and can expand a lot often end up expanding over the edge and get caught in the current, then pulled out. Kind of a pain with these types of corals.

Slykat,
    yeah, elastics are just as fine, but again, like using anything else, you have to tie it down enough to hold it in place, yet not enough to cut into it when expanding. I have seen some people even use tie-wraps.