Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation HELP! firefish is getting shredded!

i put 2 firefish in last week and they seemed to be getting along, always together. but ive noticed that the bigger one has latley been getting his tail and fins shredded. more noticable everyday. it is the bigger of the 2 that has the damage. ive notice the smaller one picking at him alot. there are no other fish in the tank so it must be the other firefish. should i get another one to split up the agression. i dont think he's gonna be able to handle much more shredding. IVAN, is there anyway you can find me one for tomorrow's group order?

any suggestions will help

My own experience with adding multiples of the same fish is to do so in ODD numbers. 1, 3, 5, 7 etc .. Just seems to work better. I have 3 yellow tangs, 7 chromis, 1 hawk and 1 hippo tang in my 100 and they get along pretty good.
    Rob

yup..thats good. ivan's sending me one tomorrow. i hope its get here before the other one croaks because ill end up having the same problem all over again:crap:

Aquamann,
    Don't want to bust your bubble but..., When adding 2 firefish together, they should always be an established pair as with many other fish. Even adding 2 at the sametime doesn't help if they are not a pair. Firsfish are one of those that are shy harmless with other types of fish, but with their own, they will fight it out...., unless they are a pair OR!!! a different type of firefish as a rule. A harem also has to be done at the sametime or else... Adding another one will most probably end up with it too being attacked if the other aggressive one is feeling up to it. The new one will already be stressed from the new surroundings and does not have the upperhand in this case. If I were you, I'd simply try to catch the one being attacked and quarantine it to help it recover and get some strength back unhindered. Keep in mind though that this is the lesser of 2 evils because these little guys are already a fraglie type fish and it might not make it through the quarantine either if it has already been stressed enough. Try to get it to eat, feed it good nutritious food soaked with Selcon or similar vitamins and simply keep an eye on it, nothing else to do except get the odds in it's corner. Keep us posted.

its eating fine. im gonna gamble and put in another one. maybe it will confuse the agressive fish a bit

From your pics, it looks like you have the peach colored type. Is the new one the same type? Were the original 2 a pair hanging out together in the same tank at the LFS or were they just bought at the sametime..., or not?

You're absolutely sure it is indeed the other fish attacking it, right? You've actually seen it? Does the other one chase it at all? Do they ever hangout together? A pair normally does. What does the 2 of them do at lights out at night..., do they bed down together or seperately?
    It can be just in bad shape and the fins deteriorating. I'm just trying to cover all possibioities and hoping for the best!! I personally really like these types of fish..., used to have some of the same you have and will be adding some more in my next bigger tank.

touche,
    they are the only fish in my tank right now, the damaged one does follow the smaller yet agressive one around the tank, but he is not allowed in front of the healthy one. he does get chased and bit by the other one so i know thats what the cause is. they are usually together however. so i don't know what to think.

But..., as I asked, did you buy them as an allready established pair or did you just buy and introduce at the sametime? I know most firefish will not tolerate 2 males of the same species together in a smaller tank. In a BIG tank where they establish individual territories, it's another story. I know I have read about them in the past, but I'm a bit rusty on them now. I can't remember if they are born and stay the same sex or if they change. It COULD also be establishing a heirarchy with the other one??????? Have you done some reading up on their habits?

http://www.janetsreef.com/firefish.htm

The Firefish is actually a member of the dartfish family. They are extremely hardy, but rather timid, so they should not be put in a tank with aggressive tankmates. Unless your aquarium is large or you obtain a mated pair, these fish should be kept singly, as they can become aggressive towards each other. They are also adept at leaping, so make sure your tank is covered. They prefer meaty foods such as brine shrimp, and will also feed on plankton suspended in the water. These are an excellent reef fish.

Cman,
    Reread the other posts. His 2 Firefish are the only fish in there.
    Don't take this badly but..., all you said is just basic info and it doesn't address his question.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast