Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Emerald Crab Murder Mystery

Hoping Someone can tell me what might be killing my emerald crabs. Had 2 show up dead within a few weeks time. Only other creatures in the tank are clown fish, Damsels, blue leg hermits, snails, a couple star fish, and a few small bristle worms... that I know of. What enemy of an emerald crab might be living in my rocks?

mine died suddenly too. the only thing thats big enough to do it is my scarlet hermit which is doubtfull.
    weird eh?

Not enough bubble algae to feed them perhaps??!!!!:hammerhea
    .... But that would be a good thing, no?? Want some of MY bubble algae? You can come harvest all you want!!!!

Seriously though, I wouldn't know either, except...., back to the aged old question..., what's your parameters like? Being a hard shelled body, they need good readings to for the water to be able to survive. How have your snails been? What types and any at all die too?

Well, water levels are all ok. Never had a snail die... had one attacked by a hermit which conquered its shell, and it appears there is enough bubble algae to at least keep 1 crab happy, come to think of it though, I've never actually seen a crab eating bubble algae, they are usually just picking at the rocks. I wonder how they can eat that stuff anyways, it's kind of hard and most of the bubbles are big and round, ever try to squish one with your fingers?

How often do you do water changes?
    I wouldn't go out and buy an iodine test kit (again) but I'd also (besides the other suggestions) be looking at the fact that they have such a hard shell they may take/need more iodine that the average invert!?

thats a good call.
    hard to know how much iodine to add..i use reef plus. 2 capfulls twice a week. but i don't know if thats enough

I don't like to add anything unless it's absolutely needed. I'm not sure where I read it (I'll try to find it) but adding un-needed iodine could cause you other problems.

With regular waterchanges you don't need to dose iodine
    ( &/or other elements).

Cakefan is correct.
    Iodine is one of those things that is indeed beneficial....., but ONLY when someone knows exactly what they're doing. Iodine can end up poisoning your entire tank if you overdose it and it doesn't take much. As a rule, you should never be adding things if you're not sure they are directly helping with something. Regular water changes will give you all the Iodine you'll be needing in your tank.

Emerald crabs will not go after the "big gun" bubbles. What they do is keep the smaller, tastier/softer ones in check and prevent them from growing big. For this to happen of course, the crabs have to actually be liking the bubble algae and sometimes the ones you buy will never taste them or sometimes just take a hell of a long time before they do. other times, you get lucky and the crabs already have a liking for the stuff and will zone in right away. It's kind of a hit/miss thing with these crabs and the bubbles.

Thanks for the info... Checked Iodine levels, they're good. I don't do water changes... I just add about 5 gallons every 3 days. That's how much water evaporates. I think it's because my sump is in the laundry/furnace room which is colder than the rest of the house. So I'm always adding fresh water.

I think I may have just figured it out though. Another emerald crab that I didn't even know I had suddenly appeared in the tank last night. He's huge! Must have come in a piece of LR. Is it possible he would have killed the other 2 crabs? Or maybe he was eating them out of their food source? It freaked me out when I saw him cause I only bought 2. Amazing what will appear out of nowhere.

Umm adding water isn't considered a water change.. You need to actually remove water to get rid of build ups and crud.. then mix salt and add the water to tank.. for all the need elements...

just thought i'd share.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast