second guessing my lighting!

I'm in the process of getting some coral frags but am now second guessing my lighting. I want to get some acro's and some other hard corals. I have 2 175w MH 10000K, and 4 40w atinic. I have several montipora's dig and caps, and a few others. But will my lighting be enough for acro's even if I put them high up in the tank. Someone please, make ky day and tell me I'll be fine. Thanks guy&gals. Gools

I think they'd be fine as long as you have them high on the rocks and directly under the halide bulbs. I know of people keeping them under just VHOs. You may not get as much colour out of them as you would under 250w or 400w but they should still be ok.
    Susan

I agree. Colors will not exactly be award winning, but they'll do fine.
    By any chance, are you using an IceCap ballast to drive the flourescants? If so, you know they're actually burning as if they're HO bulbs at around 80w each, right? IceCap ballasts are designed to run NO, HO, or VHO and for this reason, NO's get overdriven by the ballast. Just thought I'd "make your day": by letting you know you have somewhat more lighting than you think!!!

I only have ice caps running my MH. I have just a simple ballast running my flourecents.

I still think you'll be fine. Just place the acros under the halides.
    Susan

Is there any corals that won't live under this lighting? I know how you said they may lose there colour, but they will still grow. I just confussed myself. Anyways, like I was also looking at cat's paws, milliporas, birds nest, and horn corals. I am not really concerned about the colour I just want them to grow.

Yup!!! Flame is STILL right. I just wanted to try and "make your day" as I stated!!! Although, I bet your doing this now, right??!! :doh!!: :banghead: ( heh, heh... just bugging ya!!!). Don't worry.., enjoy those Acros!!!

Yes, they will still grow, albeit slower!!

I have a beautiful healthy purple tipped acro under 4 48" VHO and 2 48" NOs. It has bright colors and is growing like mad. Leafy has two or three different SPS under a single 250 MH is his setup. I think you have enough light!