Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xenias

Xenias

Does anyone have any tips for me on keeping xenias? Thanks

Well what worked for me I doubt will work for you. I had BIG troubles with mine for a little while. I had it under VHOs and it was fine at first. Then it didn't look so good, after alot of research and checking the water I decided one day to yank it out of there and put it in my tank that just has 4 NO bulbs. (marine and power glo) since that day, its doing wonderfully. Go figure! There is a really good person to ask here.. Mouse6189?? I think it something around those numbers They really helped me out with mine. Turns out what mine was doing was quit normal. They explained to me how to "prune" it and all. Theres a pic somewhere here on the MASSIVE patch they have in their tank. WOW. I was impressed. Are you having problems with yours? or are you just researching?

Xenia is one of those corals that either does not do well in your tank or grows like a weed!!
    They are a coral that is almost 100% autotrophic ( meaning it get it's nutrients fromlight). Like any other coral, they need good water parameters to grow healthy and many people say that if your PH is below 8.3, they will not pump. I find thid unture, as I have seen them do so in as low as 7.9 when someones tanks were having problems with water parameters. Many corals would not be doing well, yet the Xenia continued to be nice and bushy and pumping away. There are different types and not all will pump. The ones I have, continued to pump inthe tank of everyone else I would give frags to, heck..., it would often keep pumping even in the transporting bag!!!
    Are there any questions in particular you want to ask?

my xenia sucks.. lol.. its grows taller and taller.. but no pumping.. i have 2 more heads growing on same rock..

guess my tank can't handle them..

Talking fisherman

that little old strip light won't do much for your xenia. Once you get that 90g up and running with VHO you should be fine.

Originally posted by Toutouche
    Like any other coral, they need good water parameters to grow healthy and many people say that if your PH is below 8.3, they will not pump. I find thid unture, as I have seen them do so in as low as 7.9 when someones tanks were having problems with water parameters.
    My ph varies very little (between 8.1 & 8.2) and my xenias are doing great, they are constantly pumping. I did move then once and they didn't open as usual so I moved them (2x) to where they are now and they love it. Have you tried changing locations?

I agree with what toutouche said about ph affectiing them but toutouche would high fluctations in ph perhaps affect them? (rather than a stable low-mid)

Gools & Fisherman,
    Contrary to what Amajus mentioned, Xenia actually "enjoys" more light!!!
    Fisherman,
    If you add more intensity to your system, I guarantee you they will do better.
    Also, not ALL Xenia pumps. Even when a colony WAS pumping in one tank and you place a frag in your tank, there is always the possibility that it can stop.
    I originally got my first tiny frag with maybe 3 or 4 polyps when I still had only VHO's as my main lights. The Xenia would grow tall and skinny..., not very nice at all. It was essentially using up all it's energy trying to stretch up for the light. When I installed my MH, about 2 or 3 weeks later it shut down for about 3 weeks, then when it opened up, it had split into about 6 seperate branches and from there it would grow much more bushy and not stretch in high as fast. It looked incredibly nicer this way. Before it was starving for light.

Cakefan,
    I can't really answer you question as I've never had a problem with extremely high PH. But I don know that they will continue to pump and do great as high as 8.5ish.

Just doing my homework before I go buy some. My dealer has some for sale, and they look very nice.

Thought I'd add that it's best to keep them isolated to a "softie" island with other softies or on it's own on a piece of rock because if they do well in your tank, they will attach to the main rockwork and continue to spread like other encroaching/smothering corals. Xenia does not sting at all and will always lose in a battle with something else. Their only defense is to grow over and smother another coral. What color and shape are they? There's a bunch of different types.

They are small stemmed, about half inch. Very bright white, with the brown polyps. Very cool to watch them in the strong current. I beleive they are the pom pom kind. But I don't know the different kinds yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast