Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ecosystem success

Hi folks!!!

I'm an Ecosystem user and I like to see positive results in other tanks...
    So here's a link to some very successfull skimmerless german tank (lots of pictures in the topics below)

http://65.54.244.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?...resch04%2ehtml

Beluga

Hmmmm??? Nice looking tank..., too bad I can't read german!! I'd like to know what his maintenance schedule is like!!! As you know, I too used to use the Miracle Mud but am not a big fan of it anymore.

My mother speaks German and looked at the site a bit (I also speak a little bit from my high school days). The hot buttons at the bottom of the main page are (in order): Lighting and technical details, the ecosystem filter, views of the middle, right and left side of the tank, photos (and names) of the corals, photos of the fish and a history of the ecosystem filter.

The tank's been running about 2 years and is 80" x 32" x 28" (300G) with a 48"x20"x20" sump. 150kg base rock, 50kg LR and 60kg LS. Lighting uses 3x400W HQI with several T5 actinic supplemenation lights. It uses Tunze stream pumps (2x3,000GPH) in tank with about 2,500GPH additional flow through the sump, a UV filter. RO water supply. Calcium supplementation using the 'Bailing method' (anyone know what that is?). 7.5% weekly water change using an automated system with dosing pumps. Heating uses a 300W heater while cooling is based on heat exchange with a water resevoir outside the house (using an 80m long hose between the aquarium and the resevoir). I couldn't find any details about feeding, etc.

The tank contains 60 fish (all listed with Latin names). The owner is big on anthias! The usual snails, starfish, etc. He lists 50+ SPS corals (acros, montis, etc.), 20 LPS (euphyllia, favia, lobophyllia, etc.), 6 types of soft corals (standard types), 3 Tubastrea and 6 clams. They all look pretty healthy from the photos.

VEry nice looking tank!
    Nick

Thanks Nick.

The Bailing method was named after Dr. Bailing. He's the one who «created» the 2 part additive method (B-Ionic style).

He now works for Tropic marin.
    Beluga

One comment: while speaking to a german aquarist pal, he explained to me that the success of the ecosystem lies for the most part in the «advective transport» effect. Which means lots of water as to pass trough the caulerpa (in the sump). Look at this guy's water flow in the sump: 2 500 gph!!! That's a stream!.

I too had problems with algea after moving, and I upgrated my pumps with 1 1/2 inch tubing. The hell of a difference!! Water litterally makes a fall at the end of the caulerpa compartiment instead of the usual «follow thw glass» pattern.

Which brings me also to this: I'm using Mag pumps... it is just a year later that I re-read the instruction booklet. One line there says that maximum flow is obtain buy using 1 1/2 inch pipes. Gosh! Since the beginning I was using 3/4 and 1 inch tubing since the thread is 3/4!!!!!!!! Just changing the tubing changed my whole tank!

Beluga

Hmm??? Then this guy must have LR's in his head. To use a 2 part additive on a 300 gallon tank does not seem like he is using common sense!!! A Calcium Reactor would be WAY LESS expensive!!! Try figuring out the cost of a 2 part B Ionic supplement for a 300 gal. tank and you'll see what I mean.

possible... But the market there could be much different... He may buy dry stuff and dilute it...

Or...., I was just thinking..., maybe he steals addtivies from work!!!!!!:

Apparantly, he works as a butcher. BTW, the site was created by people who saw and liked his tank, not by the owner directly.
    Nick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast