Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Flatworm's and flatworm exit

ok here's the deal. my few little flatworms have fizzed them selves into millions. how do i get rid of them? i heard that flatworm exit is the best. can it be added directly to the reef without killing anything else in the tank?

From what I have read (do a search on Reef Central for many threads on this), you syphon as many of the flat worms out as possible, dose and syphon again. It is not the Flatworm Exit that causes trouble in your tank but too many flat worms dying can kill everything else. Be prepared to run lots of carbon and do a partial water change.

Vickie

doe's it only affect flatworms?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Yes.... it only affects flatworms.
    However....

When flatworms die, it's their "body juice" that kills everything. This it why it is so important to siphon as many of those little buggers out of there before using the "Exit".

Oh, did we mention how important it is to siphon them out?

It's even safe, (and probably recommended) to do a double or tripple dose of what's recommended.

Have lots of carbon on hand to run 30-60 minutes later.

And it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some water ready for a good waterchange.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

thanks guys!!!!ill be sure to order some on our next group order

Go for at least a double dose if not tripple. I used 1 bottle (rated for 300gal) on 170gal and it did not kill all the flatworms. Make sure you get some extra!!! After a week or two treat the tank again.

I'd also like to add that it is completely harmless to everything else in the tank if you follow the directions. That is to say, SYPHON AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE BEFOREHAND!!!! I don't think anybody mentioned this part yet!! Then you can treat the tank and yes it is perfectly fine to use more than recommended. As an example of how safe it is to overdose it, I use it as a dip for every coral before placing them in my tank and while it says to use 1 drop per gallon of water, I will add up to 10 drops to a container that is not even 1/2 gallon with the coral frag!! After treating the tank, you will have to run carbon and it's preferred to have water ready for a good sized waterchange. Oh yeah..., I forgot to mention..., SYPHON AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE BFOREHAND!!!!

thanks touche:thumb:

I've been through hell and back with flatworms. Flatworm Exit does work. Don't underestimate that need to get as many out as possible first. Also, if you really do have millions (I did) be sure to have a ton of carbon that you can use very aggressively - as in a canister filter. Just tossing a bag in the sump won't do it. The carbon takes out the flatworm toxins very well but it gets used up pretty quickly, you have to change it every hour or so for a few times. Another thing I found very helpful is to leave the exit in the water a while before you start running the carbon. During this time get as much circulation in the tank as you possibly can to get the stuff in every nook and cranny. Use a turkey baster and blast the heck out of the rock, stick the tip into little holes and use it to blast into the top layer of sand.

Remember - flatworm exit safe - flatworm toxins NOT safe.
    Susan

man i gotta get this stuff soon.
    i don't think carbon gets spent in an hour though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast