Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cowfish, Puffers and Burfish

I'm picking fish for the big fish only with live rock I'm setting up this summer and am having a hard time deciding between a cowfish, puffer or burfish. I've found some great sites with good information about each but it's so hard to decide. Anyone have any experience with these fish? Which would I possibly be able to keep with inverts - not corals but crabs, cucumbers, etc.? I know some have the sharp "beak" and will eat any inverts but the research doesn't really specify ones that don't. I'd like to be able to have some kind of cleanup crew.
    Susan

Although I find them all cool too, I don't know much about them because the situation never arised for me to be able to keep any. I have read however, that a cowfish will release toxins when disturbed or startled to make a get away from it's enemy. You might want to consider this when deciding about one. I myself find them too cute!!! and would love to have one, but the toxin thing would make me nervous. Try finding about about that a bit more just in case I'm off a bit about this.
    Did you ask the lady on RC that's apart of TRC? The one that keeps the puffer and her husband is also a member. I can't remember her name at the moment but it MIGHT be Zepplin if my memory serves me right. Perhaps, she could at least guide you in finding some good reading and pertinent info about them.

I would highly suggest a Panther Grouper. I lovem the LFS had one and he could hand feed it. When my dad went in to get feeder goldfish for our Oscars the would drop some in there evenualy the grouper started to reconize him and would go nuts in his tank whenever we went in there. also did u put any though into a shark maybe a banded bammboo. Start with a mermaids perse (shark egg) then raise it up. Now to answere your question. the cow fish will be fine but the other two id be iffy about. puffers are nice and they look cool when inflated but eventualy they loose this habit and become tame. They might eat shrimp and hermits. Same with the Burfish i know somebody with one really cool looking fish wiped out his entire snail and hermit crab population.

What about a boxfish (or maybe that is a burfish???)? They are really cool too. I think that puffers, cowfish and boxfish would be alright together. They are all slower eaters but their personality is second to none. If I was going to have a fish only, I would definitely have these fish.

I'm looking into a panther grouper because of your other post.

I found a great site about cowfish here:
    http://www.cowfishes.com/
    Apparently the poision is an issue but it's very rare.

This site also gives some good info on the different types:
    http://chunkypuff.net/
    Porcupine fish & Burrfish
    Dogface & Related Puffers
    Sharpnose Puffers and Tobies
    Unusual and Adaptable Puffers

I just need to do more research I guess.
    Susan

I think you should talk to Zepplin too, no?

Meg! That's her name. Yes, I will. Thanks Toutouche.
    Susan

Be carful with the Panther Grouper though you might get too attatched from my opionion they are better then kids

I dunno, the panther grouper gets up to 27.6 inches. That's quite a whopper. The tank is 8' and could hold it but I wouldn't be able to have any other fish that could fit in its mouth. And that's a pretty big mouth. I really want a pair of red sea golden butterflyfish. They get about 9" and probably look pretty tasty.
    Susan

How about a pair of Moorish Idols?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast