Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lettuce Nudibranch Photos

Dunno how many people have kept these, but I had one come with an order last week, figured he's cool enough to show some pics of. Enjoy!

Yeah, they ARE cool!! I have had a bunch for around a year now. Did you purposely order them or did they simply hitch hike on the rock?
    Do you know about them?
    If not, I'll tell you what to expect.
    They will very often multiply by either mating or by accident!!! What I mean by this is that they often get sucked up in an intake or powerhead, and get chopped up. This is fine though because you often get more instantly. Then at times, I have witnessed one come shoting out of a return in one whole piece!!
    Another thing I've noticed is that they must be awefully "sticky"!! I have moved them and let them float in the current and while must soft things floating around tend to bump around before settling, these little guys will stick to the 1st thing that even the tiniest part of them touches, no matter what part. It's actually quite cool to watch.
    They often do what I call " the Groundhog thing" which is they will often stretch out when trying to reach something and at times it looks like they're standing up on their hind legs as a groundhog would do.
    Depending on the types of algae they eat in your tank, their color can change among a whole variety of greens.
    They are also photosynthetic. Not all Nudibranch's are, but these are. So, if they happen to not find some suitable algae for awhile, they can feed off of symbiotic algae in their skin..., cool huh??!!!
    The have the potential to grow quite large!! The largest I myself have seen is around 2" long.
    The babies are very hard to notice and you have to practically strain to notice them. At first, they look like just a little spot, but if you look REEEAL closely, you can make out a teeny weeny version of a whole Nudi ( hee, hee..., love that word : ). You will often notice that they grow reeeal fast from a baby!! Getting bigger daily.

cool....

yeah im gettin some of those fosho

Toutouche: Thanks for the excellent info!

I did order it for a purpose...I've got a small amount of hair algae and/or bryopsis on the sand in a couple spots. Hoping he will clear it up.
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

Azonic,
    They WILL eat the stuff, but the problem is these guys are NOT fast by a longshot. They have to fin the patches before they can do anything!!
    I know I shouldn't be saying this but...., here's hoping to immediate unanticipated splitting!!!:beer: int: The more, the merrier for your purpose!!!

What do you mean by "fin" the patches?
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

They take their little fins that are normally hidden in the folds on their bodies, then they fin it to make some wind ( or in their case, water movement) which kinda opens up the algae. Then they crawl in between the stuff and eat it starting at the roots where it is the tastiest and softest.

I'm kidding of course!!!: I meant to write "find"!!!!

LOL thats funny touche:lol:

Sweet looking creature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast