Cleaner shrimp - MIA

Okay, I have 4 fish in my tank, Clark Clown, Domino and Blue Damsel and a Lawnmower blenny.

About 2 months ago I added a cleaner shrimp, it lasted about 2 days then dissapeard. Found it later behind a rock dead.

Last night I threw in another cleaner shrimp. Aclimitization process was about 2-1/2 - 3hrs.

I saw what looked like an antenna before I went to bed. Can't find it this morning, or this evening.

Would one of my fish have a hate on for cleaner shrimp??

My next step will be to remove the Domino as he's causing problems in general. Too much tank stife. Any ideas how I might get the little guy?:guns: He's fast..too fast and hides well. Too fast for my reflexes. Perhaps I should make a trap?

Thanks again.

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...ight=fish+trap

You can thank Tang-Man for that one

ITs probably not a fish that would be killing your cleaners, a guy on reefcentral had the same post yesterday lol, seems to be a common occurence, if it was a mantis shrimp killing your cleaners they would be dismembered

What is your salinity ?
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

salinity is between 1.024 - 1.025 ( floating pointer ).

I had just done a water chage (10%) prior to adding the shrimpy.
    45 Gallon
    x2 96WPC Lights, x2 9W over CPR fuge, x1 36W T5 Actinic
    Remora C skimmer, Ehiem Cannister
    Solon Wrasse,Yellow Tang, Clarkii Clown, Blue Neon Goby, Mandarin
    Assorted Zoo's,Shrooms,Rics, LPS

Are you Sure

Are you sure they are dead. Was the first body just a molted skin. Cleaners will always molt when water conditions are changed like from one that to another. I put 2 cleaners in my tank and did not see them for close to 2 months. Even now they only come out after the lights go off. Have you tried looking for them at night?
    Rob

Dog, what do you mean by Molt? Do shrimp shed their skins(shells)? Like some sort of butterfly?

When the first cleaner went missing, I did see part of it's body in a nook in the rock, it looked kinda pale and wasn't moving. It was a small cleaner shrimp like the one I bought yesterday.

I don't look at my tank often with the lights off, but when I have there has been no sign of the shrimpy. I did move the rocks around recently and there was no sign of it then.

It's only a 45 gal so you would think I'd see them sometime. Dunno. I'm intrigued that you didn't see yours for months...gives me some hope !! Damn shrimp cost $30/ea !!! I can buy a tasty bag of jumbo tiger shrimp for $15.00 !!!
    45 Gallon

yea but Tasty tiger ones don't look so cool after you swallow em
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

grimstalk .. YES cleaners as well as all shrimp molt .. sort of like how a snake loses its skin to grow. Shrimp molt to grow bat also do so when water quality changes even if the change is for the better. So you MAY have been looking at the discarded shell. They will remain well hidden until the new skin is hard and remain shy in general. As I said look for them after lights out. Give it a few hours and check for them. Mine are getting faster at coming out from their hiding places after dark but it has been close to 3 months now. I also have 2 blood shrimp that I have confirmed as still being alive but have never seen them out day or night. I have to search for them around and behind the rock with a flash light at night.
    Rob

cool, I remember when the 1st shrimp went missing. What I saw seemed to be a somewhat transparent shell.

Cheers !!
    45 Gallon

If it was somewhat transparent and not sitting in the tank for TOO long before being discovered it was likely a molted skin. They could very well both be in there. A good give away that they are still there is if you see all your fish hanging around a particular place in your rock work or moving in and out of the same holes a lot.
    Rob