Thread: Torch frag?

Torch frag?

What I noticed today:

I removed that hermit (finally) yesterday &when I caught him he was trying to pull apart my torch. Today I see that under a piece of rubble rock that next to my torch there are some tentacles sticking out. They are inflated and look healthy but I don't want to move the rock incase it's trying to attach.

My question is will this turn into another torch (is this a frag now?) or will the tentacles gradually just die? I haven't researched torches and I got this one free a few days ago so I haven't looked into propagation.

hard to say? I know that torches will of course split and I've even had my candy cane drop daughters once[rare]. chances are the tentacles will just die off. I'm suprised there even inflated for that matter? are you sure your not looking at an aptasia! I find torches grow and split rapidly under good conditions.

It's most definitely torch and I when I first saw them this morning in passing by to do something, I thought ahhh (they were deflated) it did lose tenticles, I'll toss them after I'm done.
    I came back (the lights were on for a bit at this point, compared to the lights had just come on when I first saw them) and they were all inflacted and lookiing really really good. I'm so surprised.

I guess I'll just leave it and hope it attached but if I see if move to much I'll put it in a container with some rubble.

Cool

any pics? I'd be interested in seeing them!

You know I'd post them right quick but I have no idea how to use the program and my husband is ....... lazy lol

I really have to take some tank pics and post, let's see if I can persuade him when he gets home

http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s....php?photo=888

Ok there in the background is the original and under the rock in the front you see the tenticles waving around. They are in great shape which I find odd but whatever. Will it attach to the rock ?

As long as it looks fine and not necrotic, leave it be. If it is indeed still alive and healthy, it might not necessarily attach right there, although it might. I would say it will more simply develop into it's own complete branch.

Cool, have you ever heard of them spawning like that? Maybe it's because he pulled out a chunk of flesh and as you said it'll probably just grow a hard outer shell!?

Probably. Put it this way, I too at times have accidently "fragged" a piece or two of my LPS when cleaning or moving things arond. Sometimes, the pieces have settled and attached and grew. Other times, it just withered away. As I said, if it looks fine, let it be. Afterall, in the wild they do this all the time.