Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Iodine and Carbon Issue's

i have had a fresh carbon in the tank for over 24 hrs now. i know it removes trace elements from the system. so do i have to put another dose of trace in the tank after i take the carbon out tonight?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd say your normal dosage is okay. Going on the fact that most people don't use trace elements anyway, your tank won't suffer. If you want to though, go for it. I don't think it would hurt either way.

i don't want to od on iodide

What made you decide to put carbon in? You running a skimmer?

Is iodine considered a trace metal?
    45 Gallon
    x2 96WPC Lights, x2 9W over CPR fuge, x1 36W T5 Actinic
    Remora C skimmer, Ehiem Cannister
    Solon Wrasse,Yellow Tang, Clarkii Clown, Blue Neon Goby, Mandarin
    Assorted Zoo's,Shrooms,Rics, LPS

im running carbon once a month. for safety sakes. and yes im running my skimmer 24/7. my question is ; does carbon remove iodine quickly (ie:24hrs)? and should i put in another dose? please dont ask me questions about my questions. i need quick usefull advise.

Aquamann, you should not be putting in iodine unless you test for it. Assuming that you are testing for it, I would do a test and only put in more if the test results show a lack of iodine. If you are not testing for iodine, I wouldn't put any in because, as you say it is too easy to overdose iodine.

JMO

Vickie

Originally posted by aquamann
    im running carbon once a month. for safety sakes. and yes im running my skimmer 24/7. my question is ; does carbon remove iodine quickly (ie:24hrs)? and should i put in another dose? please dont ask me questions about my questions. i need quick usefull advise.
    Do you have high reading? I run mine 24/7 and I have never had the need to use carbon. Do you get a yellowish color to your water? Other than *safety sakes* do you have a specific reason for running carbon?

Now that I have answered your question, I will note that I have read of many reefers, using carbon 24/7 and they don't dose anything other than kalk (via calcium reactor or kalk water). From this I would say that you might be in error saying carbon removes trace elements. Where did you get that info from?

I know that I read a carbon article not that long ago. I will see if I can find it and if it says anything about this issue, post the link.

Vickie

well most labels on carbon claim to remove iodine from the water if im not mistaken. also i think i may have gotten that info from the lfs as well. i might not be sound information.

also there are some possible pollutants that skimming cant remove, thats why i try to be safe by using carbon once a month.
    it would be nice to hear an experts adive on this subject. where's rob, tangman, flame and touche on this matter????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast