Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Epoxy and LR Question

Does anyone have any experience in using epoxy to attach liverock together underwater? I've read about people doing this to keep LR from tumbling, but never with any detail. What type of epoxy is this, can it be used/applied underwater, is it reef safe, etc...

Any info would be appreciated.
    Keep passing the open windows!

Cool

epoxy [the right stuff, AQUASTICK] and a few others are great to use for attching larger corals but I would not trust it to hold larger pieces of live rock in place. I would drill holes in the rock and use acrylic rods. very safe and sturdy.

John & Pubber,
    I use it all the time to hold rocks. The best way is to stack your rocks as you want, then wedge the epoxy into the cracks between the rocks. Once it hardens, it will hold them together rather well.

cool, I've just read that sometimes the epoxy doesn't hold to well and if you bump the rock or something it could let go. I will be using a combination of both rods and epoxy. I don't trust just epoxy when building a 34'' tower:

Toutouche,
    Which epoxy are you using, Johnny R referred to AquaStick, which I'm familiar with for corals...is that also what you're using for LR. The process your describing sounds like your doing this and letting it cure before adding water, am I assuming correct.

Johnny R,
    Not everyone has the space to build a fortress :-)
    Drilling is a good recommendation, I've used it in the past and it holds well. I'm asking about this because I've read about somebody doing this on another site, including the product they used...only I forgot to bookmark it. It sounds like a faster method of setting up rock then drilling, might not be as strong a hold, but should be enough.

The other thing is they talked about a product that you could apply in the water which would be handy for refreshing a rock every now and then.
    Keep passing the open windows!

you can also get a 2 part epoxy [think its called MARINE PUTTY or PLUMBERS EPOXY] but make sur eit has no metal listed on it. I used the AQUASTIC I bought from AC which is a 2 part. just break off a piece and mix together and squish your rock in place. when I use it for attaching larger corals I really try to get it into the nooks and crannys.

Johnny: is it possiable to use the 100% rubber epoxy used to seal glass for tanks (we discussed epoxy in the thread "used tanks a good buy") to stick together LR and fix corals to LR?
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

I've used epoxy on all the lr in this tank. I never use it to fully support a rock though. I make sure the rock will stay by itself, and use the epoxy as backup. Aquastick says it hardens in 1 hour, but I'd give it 24 before touching that rock again

I agree with Meltdownsustained....,

I don't use it to support the weight of the rock. I place them first and make sure it is held good on it's own, then I just wedge some putty into the cracks to stick them together. They HAVE to be able to stay put on their own though.

Pubber,
    No, I do this in the water. For sticking things in the tank, I use 2 things. one is theGel type crazy glue from Loctite. Below is a pic of it. This stuff is a real gel and stays put in a blob. I'll use this to glue down corals & frags. You can put a blob on the coral and immediately place it in the tank. Hold it for about 10 seconds and it's stuck. It holds strong and if ever you have to move the coral again, it is simple to crack it off as the glue will detach if you purposely pull it off the rock. No snail can knock it over though with this. Here is a pic of it. Available at any hardware store such as RenoDepot, Home Depot, etc...

The other thing I use is the epoxy John is talking about and is also made by Loctite. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually make it for Aquastick too and just package it differently.. It is the EXACT samething as the Aquastick sold at the LFS, except it is a dark blue on the outside and similarly white on the inside. When you knead it, it becomes all white. It comes in a plastic tube hanging on a card and the tube is about 5" long. While this is good for solidifying a rock structure, or for also holding corals. The one thing I don't like is that it won't support any weight while it's still soft. It hardens pretty quick, but I would give it a good 24 hrs to also be rock solid.
    Below is a pic of this putty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast