Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Caring for Clams

i just bought a 4-5" Crocea clam, and im wondering about any special needs it may have that im not catering to. i have it high up in the water column right under my 400watt VHO's. im feeding the tank live baby brine shrimp and invert food. water quality is good. nitrates are almost undetectable. probably too low. calcium is almost 500. anything else i can do for it??
    also its not opened up all the way yet, but i heard that is normal for the first little while in a new system. im i correct??

A very healthy clam normally opens up rather quickly. That size of clam feeds mostly off of light and nutrients in the water. In case you didn't know, and because you say your Nitrates are practically undetectable..., did you know clams need some Nitrates?

i know clams are photosynthetic and need some nitrates but thats about all i know about em. i assumed that i was doing it right but wanted to make sure thats all. never hurts to get an experts opinion : . im sure my trates will rise soon. i recently did a water change and my skimmer has been running 24/7 for the last week.

thanks touche:biggrinbo

does it look open enough to you???

your trates might be undetectable because the clam is using them. CROCEA's are the most light loving clams of them all and while you think you have a lot of light with your VHO it is spread out and not point source like MH lamps.keeping it up high is the only opption but think about an upgrade in lighting in the near future. clams can be using up there reserve energys if they do not have enough light and can last months or even a year and then die almost over night! also, look into certain wrasses [yellow coris is one] to control any pyranid snails[look like small gains of rice and can kill clams].I would also still use phyto as it has been documented that clams still use phyto at all stages in there life. I use BIOPLANKTON by LIQUID LIFE and love it as it is easy to use with a squirt bottle and very concentrated.

thanks johnny,
    i plan to upgrade when the money comes around. im looking into placing MH in my existing cooltouch unit. are there any other wrasses that protect clams? i was gonna get a pair of flasher wrasses. would mixing a snail eating wrasse with these guys be ok? and how big do these snail eaters get?

in a tank your size I wouldn't really recommend more than 1 wrasse so you'll have to decide on what you want. It is not essential that you keep the type of wrasse that controls those snails but it might help in the case of someone with more than one clam. It is also been noted that the T CROCEA are better prepared for these snails as they will actually bury there bysal gland/foot right into the rock work. they secrete some chemical slime and break down the rock and work there way right in! but still watch for them around the mantle.

That clam looks to be perfectly healthy in that photo. Sixline is a nice little fish to keep with clams. I agree with Johnny, you don't have to have one just because you have a clam and there really isn't any guarantee that the particular fish you buy will eat the pyramidal snails if they do show up. I'd look into some phytoplankton though. Good phyto can make up what it might be missing in light. BioPlankton has been proven (Rob Toonen) to be very good for clams.
    Susan

do you really think im lacking much light? after tomorrow ill have new bulbs. 2 x 95watt super actinic blue, 1 actinic white(12000k) and 1 aquasun 10000k. i also have a polished aluminum reflector. the bulbs are URI brand. i thought i was doing ok

will my crocea gain more colour if placed higher in the tank? It is presently 16" down from a 250mh. Also what is the best kelvin for a clam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast