Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question how many Linka stars to a tank?

Hey there all, my burgandy linka recently had two arms fall off, and they are slowly growing into baby stars-- should I be finding them a new home soon? My tank has lots of film- it seems to grow back as soon as I scrape the front glass! But I don't want the lil ones to starve or do poorly, so any advice as to what is best is greatly appreciated.
    (My tank specs are listed below)
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

According to Calfo's book, one is all he recommends per tank. Although it would depend on their size and the food available. You sure won't need three full grown ones, but sounds like they will be OK for awhile.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Re: how many Linka stars to a tank?

Originally posted by coral
    Hey there all, my burgandy linka recently had two arms fall off, and they are slowly growing into baby stars-- should I be finding them a new home soon? My tank has lots of film- it seems to grow back as soon as I scrape the front glass! But I don't want the lil ones to starve or do poorly, so any advice as to what is best is greatly appreciated.
    (My tank specs are listed below)
    I remember your original post, so they both survived that's great. Are you looking to find them a home?

Thanks Mom, they are pretty tiny right now, (only about 1 cm)--so I think there's enough for the babies. I was worried about them though. They still haven't developed other arms, and the Mom star just has a small bump where they fell off. It must take a long time for them to grow??
    CakeFan: I will be trying to find a home for them-- I think both baby arms lived! One looked like it might shrivel and die, but after it lost some tissue, it was ok, and has been making rounds in the tank. They keep to the inside of caves but sometimes I get to see them.
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

new pic of mom star!

Finally got a pic of Mom outside the cave- its not a good one, (my apologies!) But you can see the tiny buds of where she's starting to sprout new arms.

This is so facinating. That's a pretty special linkia you have there. Sounds like you must have the perfect tank setup for it as well. I love the rich colour.
    Susan

I could be wrong, and sorry to rain on your parade, but I think that the arms will probably die. Because starfish are so simple anatomically, arms that fall off often go on living for quite sometime, but since they are missing a digestive system- which is located at the centre of the animal- they will probably walk around until they starve- I hope I am wrong...
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Reefmutt,
    You're wrong this time .
    Starfish have an amazing regenerative capability..., as you're well aware. However, this also holds true for the fallen arms. As long as there is a tiny bit of the central disk that stayed with the arm, a whole new star will develop. There is even a name for these arms which are called "Comets".
    I have even read from some experts that if you ever see a star for sale in the store that has either all big arms and one or two small arms (the mother star) or, a star with one big arm and all smaller arms ( the Comet), you should buy that one because in order for it to be reguvenating, it means it's an extremely healthy specimen.

Yup,linkia`s in general can Regenerate from the smallest arm,I have one Star(not a linkia) in my Reef that regenerates so much I have these lil white comets some half formed and some not not the nicest to look at,but amazing none the less.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

Robin,
    I'm pretty sure you're aware of those little white starfish that regenerate by fission all the time and come out mostly when the lights are off. You're not talking about those, are you ( I think they're called Asterinas or something like that)? Are you sure it's from the bigger star that you have?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast