art

anemone for my perculas?

Hi everyone.
    I have two clown perculas.
    I decided to get a home for them.
    which one of the following anemones would be the best for them?
    Long Tentacle Anemone
    Radianthus malu Sp.
    Corn Anemone
    Physobrachia Sp.
    852A
    Corn Anemone Red
    Physobrachia Sp.
    852P
    Corn Anemone red head
    Physobrachia Sp.
    Anemone Maroon Bottom
    Radianthus Sp.
    Anemone White
    Radianthus Sp.
    Anemone Yellow
    Radianthus Sp.
    Anemone Carpet Brown
    Stychodactyla Sp.
    Anemone Carpet Coloured
    Stychodactyla Haddoni
    856A
    Anemone Carpet Colour (Red)
    Stychodactyla Haddoni
    Anemone Green
    Radianthus Sp.

thanks
    arton

What kind of perculas are they? Are they "true" percs (A. percula), or are they "false" percs, (A. Occelaris)? True percula clowns have black stripes around the white bands on their body.

Certain clownfish only host in certain anemones, so you need to know what you've got in order to make that decision. And then there isn't really any guarantee that your clown will want to host in what you give him or her anyway - fish are funny that way.

Anyway, A. percula hosts in H. crispa (leathery anemone) or H. magnifica (magnificent anemone), and St. gigantea (giant carpet anemone). A. occelaris hosts in St. mertensii, and H. magnifica. On occasion, I've seen percs in a bubble tip anemone as well, but this is not a natural host for either species.

By the way, keep in mind that most anemones require high levels of light and very mature, stable tanks. Clownfish do not need an anemone in order to be healthy and happy.
    Jason Nugent
    http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

not true malhavoc. I went to the LFS and the guy in there said when he had his first store he was keeping anemones alive under 3 90watt VHO's in a 40 gallon with ease.

Art, here is a chart with clown fish matched with anemones. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/in...a/anemones.htm Just remember that all clown fish have not read thiis chart. LOL They have been known to host what they want to host including a power head.

Doo-e, it is an accepted fact that most anemones require high light levels to survive long term and if the light is not high enough they wil be on the move trying to get closer to the light. A LFS had an anemone that had climbed up the glass to the very top of the tank trying to get closer to the light. In fact part of the anemone was out of the water only getting wet from the spray. I watched this beautiful animal, gradually loose most of it's colour and noticeable shrink in size until it was a very pale immitation of what it once was.

An anemone, like many corals, will live for months on less than ideal lighting but they will die - 6 months, 12 months, or more - from starvation. Some people have been able to supplement low light by feeding the anemone but this is not the ideal way to keep these beautiful creatures alive.

Vickie

Originally posted by Doo-e
    not true malhavoc. I went to the LFS and the guy in there said when he had his first store he was keeping anemones alive under 3 90watt VHO's in a 40 gallon with ease.
    Doo-e, don't believe everything your LFS tells you, man. As I said, most anemones need high light. I've got a bubble tip in my tank under 4x30w NO lights, but something like a condy or a H. magnifica would die. They are photosynthetic creatures, for the most part.
    Jason Nugent
    http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

MalHavoc is right. It depends on the anemone. Bubble tips and condylactus will do well under lower light, the long tentacle (corkscrew) will do ok under VHOs. Most of the rest really need halides to thrive.
    Susan