Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question When is a Xenia not a Xenia???

After getting 100% on my exam 3 Weeks ago I decided to go and finally buy my first 'real' coral....(have some shrooms I used as testers to see if I could keep them alive!) And I bought what I thought was a Xenia, hardy and nutrient exporting. The RS was adamant that it was a Xenia.
    But when I got home I had a closer look and it has more than 8 tentacles, I think I counted between 18 and 24....
    Now that's not a Xenia!
    I think it might be a Goniopora, or Alveopora.
    Can I have some help on the ID???
    It has a round hard base that the tentacles shrink into when bothered. And seems to eat fish food and Nori sheets.
    Here's 2 photo's I took about an hour after I put it into the tank.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

A better look at the tentacles.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

WOW!!! You really went out in left field on THIS purchase!!! Definitely NOT a Xenia!!! Please tell me you did a bit or searching befor going to the store to know what a Xenia looked like at least??!!! That store took you for a good!!! ride!!! Xenia is a soft coral with no skeleton.
    That might possibly even be an Elegance. I have never kept any Goniopora, Alveopora, nor Elegance so don't take my word for it. It seems to be a Goniopra though. Eitherway, all 3 of these are not beginner corals. Hopefully someone else will chime in here and ID it definitely as to what it is.

Sure looks like a Goniopora to me as well. I have kept Elegance and that doesn't look like Elegance.

Looks a little too bushy for a Goniopora(not like mine anyway)- I have one and you can see the stalks on them and they are longer not so tight together- It is a more expensive coral then xenia and particular!

Looks like goniopora to me. If it has 24 tenticles per umm tenticle, it's goniopora.

Also, the skeleton...what shape is it? goniopora should have a dome shaped skeleton, aleveopra should have more of a branching type skeleton.

Definately not elegance IMO.
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

The skeleton is dome shaped, (round).
    I've done alot of research over the past year, to find compatible and suitable corals, (incl. feeding etc) and read 'The Marine Atlas' back to front, and several other books and all the on-line articles are in a database of corals....
    But, on 4hrs sleep for 2 weeks, they look different.....And the guy at the store was adamant it was a Xenia!
    It's already 3 times the size as it was in the store. It was retracted and hard to see the tentacles, one thing I didn't know was that Xenia have no skeleton, (that info would have been a defining moment). (The same place that told me that Tunicates were bi-valves, not, as I believed closer to the sea squirt.....We had a good ahhhh, 'discussion' about that one...)
    And it is very beautiful. (and one that I had secretly wanted but decided to avoid due to difficult care..)
    I've done some further reading to refresh my memory and the books etc are a bit confusing, some say low lighting and others say high/intense lighting, some say stingers and others peaceful!!!
    Any ideas?????
    Thank you all sooooo much for your input.
    I'm going to put alot of effort into keeping it alive, and healthy.
    But if it needs intense lighting then it goes back asap. I can't have MH's so that puts it out of the question.
    I've tried counting the tentacles in the photo's and it's rather hard, but I can count between 15 and 24 per stalk.
    Any info on keeping this guy would be fantastic, as I need to know whether or not to send him back.
    Hmmmmm.
    Thanks again.

Tiffany, here is an article that I found on the goniopora - http://www.aquarium.net/1197/1197_3.shtml It has some very interesting info. It's written by Eric Borneman and published in Aquarium.net in Nov. 1997. Some of the info may be old now.

Vickie

A couple more articles - http://www.dets.com/Gonio/atg1.htm
    http://www.dets.com/Gonio/goniopora.htm

The articles seem to agree - min of VHO lighting but more important - phyto

Vickie

Tiffany,
    I'm sorry, but I made a mistake before. Some Xenia do in fact have a skeleton. There is some Xenia that is a branching type with a skeleton that is similar to frogspawns, torchs or hammers that are branching. This type of Xenia is called Pom Pom Xenia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast