Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Plans for stand for new 300g

These are my plans for the stand for the 300g tank. It will be 8' long, 3' tall and 2' wide. All 2x4s except the rails on the top and bottom which are 2x6s and the 5/8" plywood top and bottom.

This is step by step:

What do you think? Will it hold?
    Susan

I don't know how much that will hold Flame but I do think you could hold the same amount with 6 4x4 posts as legs, 2 x 6 top rails Dadoed into the legs and 2x4 bottom rails. I will try to draw you up a quick pic. My x father in law was a cab maker and i learned some good stuff from him about how to use wood to its best advantage.
    Rob

At least the drawings look great! .....:
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Cool

double up the 2x4 as they won't twist or split like 4x4.

Try This

Yes it is a GREAT DRAWING Reef but the stand itself will be rather heavy with that much wood on it. Almost all of the weight will travel down the 4 corners of the stand and that's where attention needs to be placed.
    Flame here is a quick PIC of one corner leg and one center leg. As you can see each corner leg would be cut differently depending on its location. The top dado in the mid leg is for a 2x4 across the middle of the stand. The choice wood for this is CEDER due to its natural resistance to moisture and it is EASY to work with as well. The entire stand even at 8 feet long will be light but still hold the weight nicely. If it is to be clad with plywood the outside corners are all flush and square as well. The top rail will sit on the post shoulders and the entire load will be transfered down those posts to the floor through the 6 legs.
    Rob

stand

yeah i built my own for the 66 gal ans ive had 6 ppl stand onthe thing and jump and it never even moved so i figure with yours built that way you should be more than fine...
    heres an exapmle of how mine loked before finished

Craig

Note that the mid post / leg should also be dadoed out in the front for the bottom rail. Use 2 x 6 top rail, 2 x 4 bottom shelf rail
    Rob

I dunno, this is how I built my current stand and it's more than solid. This tank is bigger but really it's just longer, the weight will be spread out.

I had the lumber delivered yesterday and I'm thinking the triple 2x4 legs will be as strong as 4x4 posts. I don't want to get into the funky cuts and chance not doing them right and having something go wrong. I'd feel safer going with straight cuts.
    Susan

Got ya. If you don't have access to a table saw they can be time consuming and difficult to do.
    Rob

I do actually, table saw, router, radial arm saw, drill press... I'm a bit of a tool geek too. I'm just not confident enough to do the really funky cuts on a tank stand. If it wasn't something that needs to support 3000 lbs or so maybe but I need to be able to sleep at night
    Susan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast