Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nitrates on the rise.

My nitrates have gone from 0ppm (with only a bio-wheel and no skimmer) to 20ppm, (with both skimmer and bio-wheel)
    I have red slime, not worried, when it gets thick, it folds onto itself, and I just scoop it up, and the coralline algae and water flow keeps it off the rocks, and now it seems to be reducing.
    The water changes are weekly 10%.
    I have been feeding more with the intro of the Anthia's. (he gets very upset if he misses a meal)
    I think this may derive from when I was at home for a month and had the window blinds open during the day, and the sun streaming in, I got some algae then and then later red slime, and now high nitrates.
    It's been 2 months or so now since I've been active again and the blinds are semi-closed or closed during the day in the tanks room, as they were before, but the nitrates are still up.
    In addition to the usual concerns, is the poor Goniopora that has to live with it until I can take it back in 3 or 4 weeks. (It looks spectacular and majestic as they do), but the info says no nitrates.
    What can I do to reduce them? I've been doing w/changes and feeding less for about 1.5 months, ( but know the Anthia's (Née: Maurice Green!!! so named for the speed he reaches when getting to food...) needs more than the average amount of food, and most if not all is consumed.
    I use NSW and RO.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

get a clam if you dont already have one. supposed to be great nitrate scrubbers. just MO. i actually have no idea how efficient they are at doing so. id do a WC anyway
    it would be good to see what the pros have to say. are ou feeding them live/frozen or dry?

They are fed frozen and dry, and a mix of both including a home recipie from RC.
    Would lurve a clam, but the lighting atm won't support one..
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

whats your lighting? derasas do well in lower light setups

couple thangs, ditch the biowheel now that you have the skimmer. sounds a bit like some overfeeding going on. Although Anthias do like multiple feedings if you do just make them smaller portions. I fed my Anthia only twice a day,once when I got home and an hour before lights out. Sometimes I forgot and never had a prob. While Deresea clams don't need the super lighting like Croaceas they however need Good! lighting and not low lighting. The more the better and they like the sand bed as well.

Do you have any macro algae growing? That will help eat up nitrates too.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

I lost most of the macro algae when I went away and a friend fed the tank for me at xmas.
    I Only have caulepra now and keep it to a bare minimum. (5 or so strands)
    I think I do feed 'a bit' too much, and will cut back a little more.
    The bio-wheel is kept for the QT so I can just transfer it over. I've Never had any nitrate problems with it. And it is easier for a QT quick set-up..
    As I don't know anyone else with marine, getting macro algae that isn't caulepra is nigh on impossible, and the RS's sell it (caulepra) by the bag fulls...

I would suggest going to at least 20% water changes. According to this article http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...2004/short.htm a water change of 10% does very little for your tank as far as reducing unwanted chemicals. Here is another article that says basically the same thing - http://www.reefs.org/library/article...tbill_wc.html. I have just switched to a 25 to 30% water change based on these articles.

Vickie

Ok, will do.
    Thanks for that.
    I'll do another change tomorrow and then min 20% per week.
    I also think I'm about due for a new tube.
    But I have to think about whether or not to get PC or not.
    I'll do another post on that.

I say ditch the biowheel, too. And you can't beat w.c.s for diluting any bulidup..
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast