Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Electrical Sensation

I felt some electrical twingling sensation couple of times when I touched the tank water. Could this be because of static electricity? This feeling is not present constantly. One moment I got it and next moment it's not there. I do not have any ground probe in my tank. Any suggestion?

if you felt a shock, then you better get a ground probe. You might want to check all electrical equipment in your tank for any cuts or lossness. BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!

You're getting an electrical short from something in the water. You either have a loose wire or a cracked wire on the insulation somewhere. Go over every piece of electrical equipment in your tank and inspect it carefully. It will get worse if left unattended and you can end up potentially hurting yourself!!

Thank for the advice guys. I will check each and every in-water equipment (basically power heads, pumps for protein Skimmers and heater).

Gools - - what kind of ground probe do you suggest?

Anyone else experienced this before?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Yes, I have experienced this, and it was not due to any equipment failure, but actually due to a small papercut that I had on my finger.

The aquarium water had caused a tingling sensation where the cut was.

However, I do recommend that you check all your equipment as well, namely powerheads and heaters...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I noticed that each time I felt this sensation when I am not wearing sleepers. Last night I felt it when I went to take some tank water in a hurry to make some brine shrimp mixture. This is scary, I am now scared to even touch the water. I will definitely get the ground probe installed. What should be materials for the ground probe?

if th equipment is live when your checking it make sure you are also grounded. AC current with repulse you, but if there is an DC current it'll grab on and burn you.

You probably have an AC short....DC has a bit more Zing to it :>) Nonetheless, be grounded.

Ground probe can be a piece of copper wire. 20 gauge stranded if you have it. larger gauges will also work. Take a peice of speaker wire.
    45 Gallon
    x2 96WPC Lights, x2 9W over CPR fuge, x1 36W T5 Actinic
    Remora C skimmer, Ehiem Cannister
    Solon Wrasse,Yellow Tang, Clarkii Clown, Blue Neon Goby, Mandarin
    Assorted Zoo's,Shrooms,Rics, LPS

Lawnmower .. if your slippers are rubber soles then they are simply insulating you from DANGER, You can only get electrocuted when you give the power source a way to get to ground. Works the same way as when birds land on high tension wires. They are safe as long as they touch nothing else. If you want to be sure about this get yourself a power bar with a built in GFI and if there is an issue in your tank it will turn off. If you plug into this power bar only the items that are submersed you will be covering your butt so to speak. In any case don't play around with this issue CONFIRM the safety of each piece of equipment even if you add a ground probe. As for the Probe I am sure I have read that titanium is the material to use for the part of the probe that contacts the water. The article I read suggested buying a titanium bike wheel spoke and attaching your copper to that and then to a good ground source.
    Rob

NO ... NO ... NO ... DO NOT put copper wire into your tank.
    Rob

Dog, I didn't mean put the wire in the tank, I was trying to suggest that the equipment in suspect be found and electrically grounded.

I should also be more clear on the "self ground", use a ground strap.
    45 Gallon
    x2 96WPC Lights, x2 9W over CPR fuge, x1 36W T5 Actinic
    Remora C skimmer, Ehiem Cannister
    Solon Wrasse,Yellow Tang, Clarkii Clown, Blue Neon Goby, Mandarin
    Assorted Zoo's,Shrooms,Rics, LPS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast