Hope for Bleached Corals???

I've read articles suggesting that " The microscopic algae expelled from bleaching coral are actually still alive... meaning that bleached coral may be able to recover."

Has anyone ever experimented with this? Is there any reason why I shouldn't put bleached corals collected from the ocean in an established tank?

Bad idea i know Flame Angel had success with her frogspawns but that is beaciuse she put in alot of work and watching into these corals. It is a bad idea and should be avoided. If you do happen to get bleached corals alot of feedings per day is an exelent idea.

It really depends on the coral. Some LPS have a better chance of recovery, especially if you're willing to feed them very regularly until they recover. That's what I did with the bleached frogspawn Doo-e is referring to. SPS can recover but it's trickier.
    Susan

Interesting, what did you feed them? These for the most part are coral skeletons of a variety of shapes and sizes, some are branches, others look like some kind of brain.

If for no other reason than ornamental purposes, can putting these into the tank have an adverse affect on my water chemistry? Will the skeletons alone absorb calcium from the water or add calcium to it?

Should they be cured?

Livingwaters,
    What you are talking about is a dead skeleton of a coral. No, there is absolutely no harm in using them, but it would be strictly for ornamental purposes. many people use them for just that, but you have to remember that anything that is not living in a SW tank, will either get encrusted with coralline or algae in form or another. It does have to be cleaned of all remaining tissue first though before placing it in your tank. You can do this by soaking it for a couple days in javel water, then thoroughly rinsing it to remove most of the chlorine. Then you let it air dry for a few weeks. Chloring has the ability to dossipate when in contact with air and because of this, if you leave the coral simply sit for a few weeks, all remaining traces of chlorine will dissapear from the skeleton and it will then be safe to place in your tank.
    Now..., the important thing to remember is what exactly is a "bleached coral". When a coral is bleached it is still very much alive and most probably even healthy. A coral will bleach, or expele some of it's symbiotic algae simply because it is not needed at the moment. When a coral is taken from a certain spot with X amount of light and placed in a new area with more light, it will bleach or expel some of it's zooxanthellae because it simply doesn't need as much as it had. For the same reason, when a coral is shipped it will often arrive bleached because in the bag it got stressed out and will release some of it's Zoox. If the coral is otherwise healthy although bleached, it will return to it's normal colors once in your tank and acclimated to it's new surroundings. Practically all corals arrive in some degree of bleaching from a wholesaler, it's just that most people don't see the coral till it's been in a tank at the LFS for a few days.
    Many people mix up the terms bleaching, RTNing, and simply a dead skeleton.

Thanks for the insights!