How to prepare lime water

Hi everyone,

I would like to have some feedback by experimented aquarist how to prepare lime water with Kalkwasser. Is it normal if it's still white and not totally transparent? Thank you every one that will answer my thread!! It's a really usefull for us, new reef aquarist!

Cool zeke

In my topoff water I do let it sit for a day but sometimes it does tend to stay a bit milky. I've never had a problem in the 3 years I've used it.Just either try to drip it or if your using it with a float switch I always cut back on the amount of KALK powder I put in. I use 1 level teaspoon per 5 g. You could use a pail[5g] and put a valve on it so when you mix up a batch let it sit then you can open the valve and let the clearish water out into your container. try not to use that crust/film you see on top.

We haven't set up our automatic top up yet. I put 2 or 3 tablespoons of kalk powder in a gallon jug and top up with RO water. I shake and let sit. After sitting 15 to 20 minutes, I pour the lighter liquid (usually still milky) into another gallon jug that I have set up to drip into my sump. I then refill the orginial gallon jug with more RO water. When the kalk water is not milky after shaking, I then add more kalk powder. This way I don't get the crust/film that Johnny mentioned on the top. This crust is caused by a reaction of the kalk water with air.

I drip into the sump compartment that the tank water enters so it is well mixed before it gets to a pump. I have read that some people dripped near the pump and ended up with kalk deposits in their pump.

Vickie

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I have a Nilsen style kalk reactor that feeds my tank through the automatic top-off.

Hardly any maintenance. I add about 1 to 2 spoons of kalk to the reactor per week. The reactor has a timer that mixes the limewater every 6 hours for 1 minute.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!