Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SAD NEWS

SAD NEWS

I don't know if any of you know but a fellow reefer in MONTREAL known as TANG-MAN who is also registered here has lost almost all his 90g tank to an unexplained ammonia spike. The thread is ongoing at REEFCENTRAL.
    It is very sad and if you read the thread very hard to figure out what happened. I will be donating a TORCH frag when its ready to split and will  be going down there sometime this summer[late AUG or SEPT]  If any of ya have anything to donate let me know and I will drop it off.Thanks MASO members.

ijo

Re: SAD NEWS

thats supper kewl john... I don't know the guy but let me know when your heading down adn I'll find something kewl for you to give him.  It really sucks to lose stuff... specially firefish  :-X

IJO

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

John and IJO,
    Thank you for your kindness.

For those who might be able to shed some light, the lengthy thread is located here:
    http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207239&perpage= 25&pagenumber=1

To date, I have lost all corals except for a shroom or 2, and maybe my ricordeas, which are still hanging on.
    I'm down to 3 fish from 6, which are being housed in a fellow reefer's sump for the time being.

I am seriously considering tearing down the main tank, and starting it over. I'm searching for some Southdown.
    If anyone has any connections, please let me know.
    I need enough for a 4-5" DSB in a 90 gallon tank.

Thank you all, this has been a very heartbreaking and trying time for my wife and I.

Vince.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I'll make a donation.  Tang Man, I have your Email address and am sending you a list of stuff.  

Bristleworm,

Thank you so much. I have replied your email.

As I mentioned to Bristleworm in the email I just sent him, I am at a loss for words by the kindness and support that I have received from everyone.

Thank you.....

wow.  I just spent an hour reading the thread.  It's amazing how thourough you can be with everything, and then suddenly lose it all.

Woah, man, that sucks... sorry to hear Vince.. that's brutal.

Let us know when you get the system going again, I'll send something down with John too, or bring it to you when I'm in MTL myself, maybe meet you, Toutlouche, stephane, etc.

Keep us up todate, if you can manage.  :'(
    Fishysan ><>
    ---
    180g display main floor, 150g trough, 75g, 20g in basement
    SPS, LPS, softies, many clams & 14 fish
    main: 250w AB DE HQI x 3, 5' x 3 VHO actinic - trough: 400w venki

sounds like a roadtrip would be in order! I think Ivan would also be interested in going and they have a pretty good MARINE STORE there.

ijo

ahh yes... roadtrip sounds nice &nbsp;;D

John, thanks again!

Regarding my current Liverock...

I'm confused as to whether I should cure the rock separately, or in the tank to cycle the new tank/dsb/water, etc...

My current line of thinking:

- I will remove the remnants of any dead corals, etc.
    - I will cure the rock in a separate holding bin, and also tackle the flatworm problem I had using flatworm exit. What better time than now, right? I havn't seen any flatties for several days, but better be safe than sorry....
    - On the topic of curing the rock in the separate holding bins; I will be doing 100% water changes every 2 weeks, maintain temp at 81-82, maintain SG at 1.023, and provide adequate water circulation.

- In the meantime, I will empty the main tank, clean it out, and slowly refill it.
    - Hopefully, I will be able to get some water from Toutouche's tank as well when he does his next water change, this way I can speed the cycle of the main tank.

I'm thinking that, provided my rock is still usable, I can get my tank up and running again using this route. What do you all think?

I have a long road ahead of me...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast