sulphur in refugium

Tonight I drained my refugium because of a flatworm plague. Anyways, when I moved the sand around it was black. I had a sulphur build up in my sand. How do I get ride of this form happening, once I set it up again? Thanks Gools

you don't, those black zones mean your sand bed is working. those usually occur in deep sand beds. they shouldn't be disturbed but you were taking down your refugium. why actually did you do that? you could have just syphon'd off as many flats as you could and then use FE. when you close off or tear down a system like a refugium it might cause some ill effect to your reef.

It has only been setup for a couple of months. Rather then use chemicals, I would take the time and do it right. They had grow very fast and you literally couldn't see throught the glass. I think they came in on the macro algae from my dealer. Besides, I haven't had anything to do in a while. I get bored when I can't fix, or work on something to do with my tank.

getting bored mmm ya have to have major patience in this hobby and the less your in your tank the better. FLATWORM EXIT is being used all the time with no ill effects. when you take a refugium off line or a skimmer or anything like that you are changing the balance withing the tank system. this could have a very negative effect so going the FE route would have been a better choice.Some people use certain wrasses to control flats but it all depends on what fish you want.

A little known fact about flatworms is that in addition to splitting by fission they also lay cysts. The cysts are kind of like eggs except strong enough to withstand a nuclear explosion. People have been known to add dry rock to their tanks and nothing else and end up with flatworms from cysts on the rock.

I'm mentioning this because I fear that unless you bake the sand and sterilize the tank you likely will end up with them again.
    Susan

I thought they need light to survive? I emptied out my refugium. I'm in no hury to set it up right now, it's sitting empty right now and I have different sand I was going to use. How long can these cysts live for out of water?

I did a lot of research on flatworms as I had a plague of biblical proportions at one time. They can use light but they are actually carnivores and thrive on copepods, rotifers, baby brine shrimp or other tiny meaty fare. These things will survive when the cockroaches are gone!

The cysts can last several years. Like yeast. If it was me I'd ditch the sand but you may be able to bake it and reuse it.

When I first discovered my problem I swore I wouldn't use chemicals in my tank and tried every other possible option. I didn't give in until I had them in blankets and the toxins were getting to my more sensitive animals. I finally gave in and used Flatworm Exit. I should have done it in the beginning. It caused no problems at all in my fully stocked tank and I haven't seen a single flatworm since.
    Susan