Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

transfering rock

My friend is breaking down his tank and selling all his fish and equipment. He has 30lbs of rock that he is going to give me. Im concerned of a possible spike in my tank when i put the new rock in. I was thinking of just putting all of his rock in a bucket with the water from his tank. Travel time between tanks is only 5 minutes, so that should not be an issue. Would this cause a spike in my tank? would there be die off in such a short period of time? and would i have to acclimate the rock to my water?

thanks for any input....

try to keep it as wet as you can. if its cycled rock i think you'll be better off with it than without it. go for it IMO

If it's cured handle it like any other NEW livestock purchase and you will be fine. If you can't ship it submirsed wrap it in in wet UNBLEACHED paper towel and bag it.
    Rob

the rock has been in this tank for 2 years, it is no prob to keep it submerged in water the whole time.

Then that would be the best way to ship it. That way if there is anything in the holes of the rock that needs to be under water to live ... it will not be killed. I would even go so far as to aqulamate it like you do with other new stuff you add to you tank.
    Rob

so do you think that it could cause a spike?

not imo

There would only be a spike if there is a LOT OF LIFE on the rock and it over burdens your tanks carring capacity .. or if there's life on it that dies in transit or after you add it to your tank. You likely have a better idea of the new rocks condition and your tanks carrying capacity then I do because your there and know your system. I would keep an eye on your water condition in any case for a few weeks after adding it. Keep in mind that if his tank is up and runing .. and doing well ... there will be added carrying capacity that comes with the rock in the form of added bacteria.
    Rob

i wouldnt think its something you should worry about. but like Salty said, just test the water anyway every now and then just to be safe.
    Albert
    My Photos

what equipment is he selling Atlantic?
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast