Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool Creatures

Cool Creatures

LEAFY DRAGON. unfortunaly almost impossible to keep let alone afford

another type

weedy dragon.

Not true both can be easily kept if you are willing to feed rotifers and baby brine

Sorry Doo-e, but Jonny is right. The Leafy Dragon is all but impossible for a hobbyist to keep. The requirements of this fish are only able to be met by Public Aquariums and research organizations. Not to mention that you can't even get one legally if you aren't a certified public aquarium/research org.

Weedys are more common and a little easier, but still far beyond all but the most experienced hobbyists capabilities
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

I'm going to say I think they are possible to keep. The problem is that they are illegal to own privately and the simple cost of one of these is out of our league!!! It is in the Seahorse family and most probably has the same requirements.

DRAGONS: are very pciky eaters, they ship horrible, cost in the thousands and the WEEDY DRAGON is the only one possible availabe to LFS's but are almost never brought in because no one can either afford them or willing to take the chance. the LEAFY you simply cannot get as greg stated. veary neat though

Beautiful! I wouldn't even try if I could but it's wonderful to see the photos anyway.
    Susan

Susan,
    I WOULD!! definitely try if I could..... ( "could" meaning be successful..., and of course successful at the lotteries!! heh, heh). My wife has this pewter square that sits on our piano that comes to mind and it has a saying engraved. It says..., " What would you attempt if you knew you would not fail"?

They (Leafy's) are legal here, if you have a license and go through about 3 years of government regulation requirements.
    You need a tank the size of a room as they grow very big.
    One guy just got a pair and converted his garage into a tank to satisfy the government requirements.
    I'll try find the link for you.
    They bread in the Southern parts of Australia, which is where I live, and they bread off the pier at Flinders, in the cooler months, about 3/4 hr drive from the CBD. (city)
    Lots of people go diving to see them, and they have coast guards to 'check your pockets' there.
    If I had my divers license I'd be there daily.....
    And yes I'd take the chance, as I know that under the right conditions they do well and breed. I'm just not looking to take out a loan for them.....
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Talking TIFFANY

yes they are very nice and I did forget to mention they hail from down under. you Aussies have all the luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast