Vacation - preparation...

Ok, i am going to be going on vacation for close to 2 weeks and want to bulletproof my tank as much as possible before i go. I will have my brother-in-law come to my house to feed the fish and top-off with fresh water. I will leave 10 gallons of RO/DI water for him to top-off to the top of my water line (probably will only have to be done once) and to feed the fish maybe every 4 days (this should be enough to keep them alive, but wouldnt be enough to pollute the tank while i'm away). I was also thinking of cutting back my photo-period from 12hr actinic / 10hr full to 10hr actinic / 6 hr full. This in my view would still be enough to keep the corals happy, but will reduce the hours that the fish are in full activity and will keep them more subdued, less hungry, and produce less waste. This is my current schedule.

Day 0 - i will do Water Change 10 gallons / adjust light schedule / feed heavy (fish and corals).
    ---------------
    Day 4 - Feed fish (regular)
    Day 8 - Feed fish (regular) + Add water to water level
    ---------------
    Day 12 - I return, Feed heavy (fish and corals), return lighiting to normal schedule, water change, and make sure everything survived.

I wanted to get any feedback/opinions/suggestions on this plan.
    Thanks.
    Albert
    My Photos

don't worry about cutting back the photo just leave as is. the feeding every 4 days is perfect as is your other proceeders. Do you have batterie powered airpumps? if not you should. In case of a poweroutage these will save your tank.I left for 6 days and fed nothing.[ANTHIAS included]they'll survive.

no battery powered pumps, but in my area, we really dont have problems with poweroutages (except of course last august when the whole northeast didnt have power b/c canadians managed to mess up Niagra Falls - he he, j/k - and even then i didnt lose anything in the 24 hours my tank was powerless.
    Albert
    My Photos

never leave anything for chance. buy the PENNPLEX airpumps there great. The black out was caused by the good old boys of the U.S.A. It originated in IDAHO I believe.

yeah yeah, thats so typical of the canadians "Blame USA - Blame USA" - you should know that even south park made it very clear in their song "Blame Canada!."

So you are saying i should just buy an airpump and let it make bubbles in my tank? arent we normally against having bubbles in the tank? and with my current, i will end up having bubbles everywhere (and arent air pumps noisy?).
    Albert
    My Photos

The Pennplax will not make bubbles unless the power goes out. It is battery operated and also plugs into an electrical outlet..if the power goes out then it automatically turn on and the batteries take over until the power comes back on. I should provide enough oxygen to keep your coral and fish alive for hours. Good to have a few spare batteries just in case the power is out for a day or two. They are noisy enough but if it keeps your tank alive it's just a minor inconvenience.

I'm not sure, but I think Johnny might be referring to the battery powered Air Pumps by Penn Plex...they only come on in case of outage. It's worth the peace of mind, for under $20.00 US.
    Keep passing the open windows!

Double-post :-)

These are the ones:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1083863563323
    Keep passing the open windows!

sold, I just bought one. it was $20 US with the shipping.
    Thanks guys, i never knew about this before. its good to have even not for vacation.
    Albert
    My Photos

I bought 4 of these for my reef after the hurricane wipeout last fall. They're great.
    Susan