Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Sascha is a big pink bully :(

For several days now Sascha, my 6" (probably closer to 7") male squarespot anthias, hasn't let Raistlin, the 5" ornate leopard wrasse, up out of the sand. Every time he tries he's chased mercilessly until he goes back under. I have no idea why Sascha has determined that this must be so but he doesn't seem to be getting over it either. He's chasing other fish to a much lesser extent as well.

Sascha is destined to go to the new big 300g I'm setting up but it's not ready yet and I really don't think Raistlin will survive like this until it is ready. I don't really want to move Raistlin and I feel that even if I did Sascha would just select someone else to pick on.

Today I plumbed a 20g rubbermaid tub (until I can get my 20g tank drilled) to the main tank thinking I would move Sascha there at least until I can figure out what to do about the situation. Catching him, however, has proven to be a LOT harder than I suspected. Eventually I'll manage I'm sure.

I'm quite sure that Sascha won't be happy in the 20g tank but I'm thinking that at least this way everyone survives. Still it could be August before the big tank is ready for a fish.

Do you guys think it's too cruel to keep the big guy in the small tank for 3 months?
    Susan

No not really if it is for 3 months and he is healthy then its okay. it like having kids when they do something bad they have to be grounded. Well this is like being grounded but when it is over there is a reward. But the question is will it be more cruel to slowly kill Raistlin by keeping the anthias in the tank? save one fish or save 2 that is the choice you are stuck with. Personally i would put him in the 20 gallon or put the wrasse and his mate in the 20 gallon until the anthias is gone.

Sascha is in his prime with an attitude to go with it. He's thick, has perfect fins and amazing colour. He rules the reef, there is no doubt about it.

Raistlin is at this point at an all time low. He didn't come up out of the sand today but when I saw him yesterday (for a whole 2 minutes max before he was chased down again) his gills were a blur they were going so fast. He's super stressed. Before all this started he was doing great and has a lot of weight on but he hasn't eatin in many days now and I'm afraid that the move would add to his stress and do him in.

Chloe, the copperband, as well as Chrissy, the smaller leopard wrasse, are both being bullied by Sascha as well now but not nearly as much. At this point I really feel that the reef would have about 10x less stress without him there.

The new tank will be perfect for him, not just because of the size but because of the other fish I'm planning. I really didn't want Sascha to be the first fish in there but he's kind of forcing my hand here.

Here's some pics of my temporary tub rig:

No one is going anywhere near my 2L bottle with the scallop in it.
    Susan

Then get that ANthias out of there ASAP whats the matter whip a net in there anything. Try 2 nets get ur husband and son into it the faster that anthias ia out the fast and better chance the wrasse will live.

C'mon over and try Doo-e. My son and I have both tried several times now, it's not as easy as you'd think. No husband. I do have a friend who is pretty good at this who I think I'm going to beg for help tomorrow. The lights just went off, I had to give up for the night.

I've got the 20g all cleaned up and ready to be drilled when my other friend gets back. Hopefully he can help with this.

The wrasse didn't come up from the sand today at all. I suspect he'll come up tomorrow about 6pm. I've had this fish a long time and know him pretty well. I'm going to try my darndest to get him out before then tomorrow.
    Susan

Doo-e, are you intentionally trying to be rude or does it come naturally? I don't think that was called for.

Susan is known for her caring attitude to all the criters in her care - corals as well as fish. Susan alos knows how much more stress will be involved for ALL criters if she starts chasing a fish that doesn't want to be caught. The trap method is proven to work without the stress of chasing fish with a net.

Vickie

I've had bullies and the way I see it is if you can't get along with the othersthen you gotta go.

It's sad because you do like him so much but he's got to be punished=solitary confinement

ps. I feel for you because I've had to tear my tank down 2x to get a fish out and it's not easy or fun not to lose mention of the stress on everyone. G/L I hope everything works out.

Doo-e and I have had several PMs now. His post wasn't offensive to me as we're getting to know each other and I think it's just kinda his style. Kind of how you'd say something blunt in a joking way to a friend to make a point. He's very caring about tank critters himself and he is right, I do need to get Sascha out of there asap.

You're right though, I didn't want to overdo it today and ruin my chances tomorrow. The trap idea may not ever work with this fish. I don't know if you guys remember the "incident" several months ago when I was trying to catch a crab with a scallop and Sascha ended up eating the whole scallop and a bunch of bristle worms? Remember he didn't eat for a week? I don't think he's forgotten. He won't go anywhere near this trap.

Tomorrow is another day.
    Susan

Good luck Susan, wish I lived close and could help you out. I'm actually very good at catching uncatchable fish! What kind of a trap are you using? I've had tremendous luck with a few types that I've built (let me know if you need the plans) although with all of them they still take a few days to work.
    Lynn

Susan, something that has worked for me to remove fish is to get them used to the net being around all the time. It takes time, though. Whan I want to catch a fish, I start hanging the net in the tank all the time and then when I feed I hold the net in one hand and feed with the other-USUALLYthe dominant fish is the first to food and quickly becomes used to the net until SOMETIMES the fish will begin swimming right into the net to get the food...may help
    My other suggestion would be to get him a mate. Maybe he'd be more interested in a chick being around than chasing other fish.
    Good Luck!!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast