Bangaii Cardinal Surprise

Several months ago I purchased what appeared to be a mated pair of Bangaii Cardinals. At least they swam together and did not fight! I have read that they may breed in captivity but rarely do the offspring survive.

Recently I discovered that I have one small BC hiding in my hammer head coral. At this point it is the size of a baby finger nail. An exact replica of the adults but very tiny. It has survived for several weeks now and looks to have grown enough that it might make it. It looks to be actively feeding on microscopic particles of food (darting back and forth just like the parents when eating). I can't find any other babies in the tank. Likely none survived. Does anyone know what the typical number of babies would be when first born?

Happy mother's day!

well if it your first batch maybe 20 but adverage batches are 30-35 and large batches are 35-40. Watch next time. The male should be holding eggs right now. Or very soon. Feed him alot of food so that he doesnt eat the eggs when he has them in his mouth.

well if it your first batch maybe 20 but adverage batches are 30-35 and large batches are 35-40. Watch next time. The male should be holding eggs right now. Or very soon. Feed him alot of food so that he doesnt eat the eggs when he has them in his mouth.

I thought they didn't eat while holding the eggs?...just like cichlids.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

They dont but when they spit out the young you have to feed them fast b/c the feamle is ready to lay in 2 weeks.

He won't eat them unless something is wrong...like stress or poor water conditions. Doesn't matter if he's hungry.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

I have read that the male will eat the young if improperly fead.
    Anybody can start a reef tank it takes a realy intrest in the hobby to maintain one.