Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tapwater

tapwater

Anyone else using tapwater and getting lots of cyno/hairalgea/diatoms? Since I switched back to tapwater [was tired of lugging water bottles] I have had some problems. Don't know if it is in fact the water but? ya never know.

Re: tapwater

It's probably your tapwater.  I use to have huge algae problems then I went to an R/O system.  Once my R/O was down and I used 10 gallons of tapwater for a water change.  Within 4 days, diatoms and algae started to form again.  I've never used anything but R/O since.  Just my experience.
    ;D
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Hey Johnny,

Is there any construction near your house?  I live in Barrhaven and stopped using tap water about 2 - 3 years ago when the new home boom hit out here.  Ever since they started adding homes to the current water system out here the conditions have been aweful.  Water may be only one cause... How old are your lights?  How often do you feed the tank?  How deep is your sand bed?  I know these are obvious questions, but something to consider.

Gordo

rj
    Banned

Tap Water = A combination plate of Red & Green Slime with a hint of Brown Diatom as a bonus!

As you know rockin john i'm experiencing the same thing on my dsb. Kinda a brown crap that
    appears to fade out when the halides go off. For me i think what gordo said about the lights is
    helping to fuel the situation. My bulbs are approaching 1 yr now and i've noticed this stuff over the last 3-4 months. If it is the bulbs then they gave me about 6months of good service
    venture 5500's..never again anyways. Anyone know of a good not overly pricy DI system? I'm fed up with my POCrap AP tap water purifier. It seems to do alright until the resin\pad seperates
    on me even using the micky mouse spring. Guess you get what you pay for I would prefer just a DI unit over a complete RO system as i'm not into the amount of gallons of "waste water"
    the ro units dump out.

RGAQUATICS, I was talking to jeff about that exact idea,[the runoff ]. I will be switching back to bottled until I can afford  GOOD RO unit.Also my lights are on the to be replaced list. Thanks dudes.

ijo

Awesome info... I've been fortunate with the water in my area... no major problems at all.  At least nothing the snails couldn't handle.

I'll get a few price quotes on Spectrapure and other RO units and add them to the site.

IJO

any one had luck with well water?
    i test ok for phoshate,iron,gh,and kh
    well is 125 ft down and water quality is great with no odours i use a two stage drinking filter
    am i fooling my self with this or should i jump on the ro/di band wagon as well... I have run some tests in a small 20 gal with no trouble yet. but i will be moving to my 90 gal soon.

one thing about the cyno have you all seen the LFS tanks? they are in bloom real bad and they too use tap water started just about 2 months ago  

I just don't risk it, with the investments we all have, the price of an RO, or RO/DI is minor and makes a huge difference. Bad enough I have to clean the glass. I've lived in Orleans, Manotick (well) and now Barrhaven, and I've never had any problematic algaes (that our normal custodians don't deal with) in years. Even after moving twice, and disturbing the sand bed in the last 2 years.

Someone on RC (stephane?) in montreal was getting a bunch of 100gal/day ROs for like 200$.. I was tempted just to get another one! Mine's only 25gpd.

Because our water quality is reasonably good, and if you have a flush kit, you can go many years on the same membrane. I've had my unit for like oh, crap, 8+ years, easy? I've not changed my membrane, but I have changed the DI chamber once.

If you don't mind dealing with chemicals, you can easily do really well with DI resins and recharge them as you go.. I had collected a bunch of TWPs and assemblies and separated the resins, etc, etc. to make a rechargable system. In the end though I got an RO/DI, less hassle.

Cheers.

Fishysan ><>
    ---
    180g display main floor, 150g trough, 75g, 20g in basement
    SPS, LPS, softies, many clams & 14 fish
    main: 250w AB DE HQI x 3, 5' x 3 VHO actinic - trough: 400w venki

thanks for all the great info guys,Ivan, keep me posted on the RO units. I would be looking for a big boy for the future tank. Were do they sell the phosphate pads?
    Yeh I was at AQUARIUM SERVICES yesterday and all the tanks looked fairly crappy. I bought a PAJAMA CARDINAL for $18 an

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast