Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question anenome & corals not compatiable?

I've been reseaching corals, (to see what my next purchase should be) and I read that anenomes shouldn't be mixed with corals, but it didn't say why. Does anyone know?
    (is it chemical warfare?)
    Any experiences with housing anen's & corals? I don't want a ' mysterious tank death' to wipe out my tank!
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

I think it's because they have a tendency to move around.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I agree with tiffany but i have seen a really nice setup incorperation both anenomes and corals. I think if you give the anenome time to settle in a pick a spot it should be okay but i am not sure.
    Anybody can start a reef tank it takes a realy intrest in the hobby to maintain one.

Anenomes can/will sting any coral in its way as it moves around looking for a spot that IT likes. Once it has settled into a spot, then like Ryan said, you can usually be safe in adding other corals - as long as lighting and current never change. If lighting and/or current changes, it may move again and kill corals in its way.

Many anemones can grow very large and take over your tank due to size. I think Johnny had an anemone that went from the back of his 90 gallon to the front. Very nice anemone but too big for a small tank.

Anemones have also been known to eat fish. Some say they only eat dead fish - others say any fish that happens to decide to take a nap on them. I was recently reading about an anemone that ate a mandarin.

Vickie

Also becarful when you buy anenomes they may stretch to full size when under full light. May be smaller b/c of subdued lighting
    Anybody can start a reef tank it takes a realy intrest in the hobby to maintain one.

where did my post go"??

Johnny, we're all getting old and forgetful. You probably forgot to click on "submit reply" LOL

Vickie

Thanks everyone! That's great new- I've got a condy anen, that my maroon clown has learned to love (ALOT!) and I wanted to keep it for him. But I wanted to add to my corals too. Thanks very much for helping me make a wise decision. :thumb:
    Johnny-I'd still like to know what you're thinking!
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

where did my post go"??
    Johnny, we're all getting old and forgetful. You probably forgot to click on "submit reply" LOL
    Heh, Heh, Heh,
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

okay I'll repost this 'LOL' anenomes although lovely are a pain in the .... BTA's seem to split all the time and of course they sting and can kill corals.
    LTA'S seem about the best bet so far.
    CARPETS eat fish and can kill BIG tangs.
    RITTERI'S and the rest seem to go right to the top of the tank taking up valuable realastate.
    CONDYS, actually are considered a pest in the reef trade and your lucky a clown hosted in it as they normaly don't
    All anenomes for one reason or another will move when you least don't expect it for unknown reasons. even the change of old lamps to new can spark a migration. of course stinging corals all the way. Would I keep an anenome again? yep! I love them and I'm partial to the LTA's as they do seem the most stable. You really have to plan your tank around these guys. all anenomes can grow HUGE! and need very stable water chemistry. I have a 4 foot section just for my future ANENOME

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast