Zoos coloration & other experiences

Vickie sent me this link last week and I found it very interesting. Thx again Vickie

http://wetwebmedia.com/ca/zoanthids.htm

I got some pink zoos about a month or so ago (pic in my photos) they were pretty but nothing outstanding IMO. Talk about coincidence today I have to do some maintenance on the tank and I notice that the pink zoos aren't almost totally pink (and pale) anymore. They now have a cream mouth (I think it was always this color)the pink color and NOW they ALL have an intense purple (not the light purple seen) rim after the pink and the tenticles are ash/pale green.

I have been concerned with a small outbreak of algae this past week so I haven't really been paying attention to other things other than controlling the algae AND then I see this today WOW what a change.

Then I started looking around at the other zoos to see if I have any changes. In the rusty-red/blue/yellow ones not really any change, I have a few new ones that are morphing into their colors but nothing other. Then I see the extremely small colony of zoos that were originally med green/orangey/green are NOW lime green/red/green, and the heads are somewhat larger / more pronounced then before.

For a month or so I had no changes, I can't really comment on last week because of the previously stated reason but this week I have noticed a big change in some zoos.

ALSO

A little while ago I had a trade set up and that person was interested in purple-tie-dies, I had some put aside for another friend and my main rock had 4 head (purple) & 2 heads of ?? (think they are going to morph but not sure what to-still no change since Feb on these).

I cut the heads off the 4 purple-ties and glued them to a rock, leaving only the stumps & 2 other heads of ??? That was about 2mths or so ago and the 4 heads that I cut/fragged have now NOT only regrown the 4 heads

BUT I now have a colony of about 10-12 heads of the purple & STILL only 2 heads of the ?? This makes me wonder about how the polyps spawn (not buttons cause they can't be cut) when cut!?

Wow amazing did you want to sell some of them pink and green zoos
    Anybody can start a reef tank it takes a realy intrest in the hobby to maintain one.

Originally posted by Ryan
    Wow amazing did you want to sell some of them pink and green zoos
    Thanks but not just yet.

I was wondering if anyone else has had experiences with cutting zoos and having them spawn at a faster rate both the stalks and the frag/flowers?

I wonder if by cutting them some of that stuff they ooze could be the cause/result in them spawning at a faster rate?

Well when do you think you will want to start faraggin gso i can gt in touch
    Anybody can start a reef tank it takes a realy intrest in the hobby to maintain one.

Cakefan,
    Buttons will get amazing colors when they are happy in the sense that they are getting good light and food from the watercolumn. Buttons actually like good lighting and the colors will get more intense the more they have light.
    Somthing I want to warn you about though is that stuff that oozes out can be very dangerous and actually lethal for you. Buttons produce what's called "Palytoxin" which is a very strong/potentially lethal toxin as a deterrant. Some/most people will have no effects what so ever with them and can handle them with their hands ( as I can) but some people are very sensitive to it and can have a very dangerous reaction to it. I ABSOLUTELY VERY STRONGLY WHOLEHEARTELY ( is this direct enough???) recommend that you wash your hands very well with soap each and every time you handle them. Never touch your face or especially your mouth/lips with your hands before washing them after touching buttons. Aside from this, they are beautiful aren't they???

Originally posted by Toutouche
    Cakefan,
    Buttons will get amazing colors when they are happy in the sense that they are getting good light and food from the watercolumn. Buttons actually like good lighting and the colors will get more intense the more they have light.
    Somthing I want to warn you about though is that stuff that oozes out can be very dangerous and actually lethal for you. Buttons produce what's called "Palytoxin" which is a very strong/potentially lethal toxin as a deterrant. Some/most people will have no effects what so ever with them and can handle them with their hands ( as I can) but some people are very sensitive to it and can have a very dangerous reaction to it. I ABSOLUTELY VERY STRONGLY WHOLEHEARTELY ( is this direct enough???) recommend that you wash your hands very well with soap each and every time you handle them. Never touch your face or especially your mouth/lips with your hands before washing them after touching buttons. Aside from this, they are beautiful aren't they???
    LOL Thanks I read about those little guys and trust me when handling anything in the tank I use gloves no exceptions but thanks for the heads up

Have you heard of them spawning faster when fragged? I'm going to try fragging some others probably this weekend and seeing if they have the same affect. It would make sense IMO that they would.

No, not really. All I have ever experienced is that if your tank is doing well and they are happy, then they wil spread like rabbits. I never even wanted to try making them spread even faster. What I HAVE noticed too is that as long as there is 2 of them beside each other, then they'll reproduce faster.
    Another thing I have noticed is that mine are very intense colored and in the tank of some people that have gotten frags of them from me, they have turned drab and dull. It could be an issue such as old bulbs or anything else..., this I have no answer for. Just as any coral, the exact same piece can look completely different in a different tank.

What do you feed your zoos? That might have something to so with the brighter/better colours.

I don't directly feed any of my corals, nor do I want any corals that I have to. I do feed the tank as a whole though for the corals. I mix up ESV Spray Dried phytoplankton, GoldenPearls, Cyclop Eeze, BioLife Coral Plankton and Colorbits ( o.k. this one if mostly for the fish, but it scatters well and many of my corals catch them), then there is the actual fish food that also varies. I think it has to do with good flow and lighting mostly.