Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

clams and pygmy's

has anyone had experience with clams and pygmy anglefish? i've heard some will peck at the mantle

i think its all up to the fish. kind of a touch n go situation. many people keep them with clams but it comes down to the personality of the fish. IMO you should get them young so that their habits are not as well developed. if they nip then take the bugger outta there.
    FYI Azonic has a flame angel in with his clams and i dont think there is any problems thus far.

I keep a bicolor and midnight with clams and before the hurricane wipeout I kept a flame and coral beauty with clams - no problems with any of them. I really think the trick is adequate frequent feedings. Hungry fish will go for what's available.
    Susan

I recently wanted to get a pair of Flameback pgymy's but my friend who guides me on my reef ( ReefMutt) told me not to because of my clams, These are one type that will regularly go after clams apparantly. Other types I can't comment on.

i was thinking of a potter's or an eibl, but i already have 2 different clowns 3 different wrasses and 2 different hawkfish in a 77g do you think I'll have territory issues?

Potters are one of the more hard to keep dwarf angels but arer reef safe.
    Anybody can start a reef tank it takes a realy intrest in the hobby to maintain one.

I agree with Ryan that a Potters angel should be tried once your comftorable with sensitive, hard to keep fish. They have special requirements and are rather hard to keep.

The only angels which are accepted as 'really' reef safe come from the genus Genicanthus (Lamark, swallowtail angel). They are planktivores and won't eat coral. But, they are also 'large' angels. All the stuff I've read suggests that Potter's (like other Centropryge angels) can nip LPS and clams.
    Nick

I have a coral beauty and it nipped my clam to death!:bawling: :bawling:

Different angels will behave differently. I got my bicolor in the same shipment with a friend who got a larger bicolor. His is a verified clam killer, mine doesn't bother them. It's possible that younger fish are easier to get out of their wild habits. Could be that his fish loved eating clams in the ocean before captive life. He also only feeds his fish once a day, I feed mine 3 times a day with a variety of frozen foods and then give them a snack of frozen brine shrimp at night when I'm feeding the tubastreas. They don't need to look elsewhere.
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast