Thread: is this fin rot

is this fin rot

is this fin rot if not what is it?

Definetly not fin rot.
    It seems to be more like costia necatrix I would usually see this in freshwater although im sure a strain exists in Saltwater.

Basically symptoms are partial grey or milky color change of the skin or fins,frayed and or clamped fins.
    Its a protozon and the fish should be placed in a hospital tank probably easier said than done though.

You can use a copper treatment but in a Quaranteen tank only not in your REEF.

Usually I would boost the fish food with a vitamin supplement and it would disapear on its own ( Fresh water)Same for Salt..
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

Fin rot usually includes deterioration of the fins as well as is more patchy looking as compared to white spots on the fins. My "simple" disease Symptoms section of my book says that white to yellowish spots on the body and mostly on the fines COULD be Oodinium infection (coral fish Disease) But Oodinium is a lot rarer then it once was so I would not panic but would keep a close eye on your fish. Do you have any cleaner shrimp in your tank? It's a good place to start on the road to prevention.
    Rob

my fish does not have that problem his re-occuring problem is yellow dots on the fin bigger then ick not sure what it is but always yellow. He usually has one that never goes away but then it acts up and a few more come out but the one never seems to go away. I have tried many times in quarantine tank with many medicines but nothing gets ride of it completely. He can go 4 months then one day it comes back any idea's.

Thank You
    Terry

If it comes and goes give it and all your fish a Vitamin boost in there food there are several brands out there a good one is Sera Fishtamin.
    You will see a great difference in the overall look and health of all your fish,also a new one that came out during a tradeshow that from what I heared from people who used it is Entice from Seachem.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W