Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flatworm eggs & l.r. hatching issue?

I'm curious because I've read that they (the eggs) take several weeks to hatch and if you've treated for them you have to re-treat in 3 wks to kill the hatchling.

Now I'm curious, if you dose F.E. in the bag when you get some new L.R. (or coral attached to l.r. for that matter or just coral) how can you be sure there are no eggs that you are inadvertantly putting in your tank?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=328508
    (thanks again Vickie)

I was planning on getting a few pieces of L.R. but since my last scare I don't want to get something I didn't plan on EVEN if I do dose F.E. in the bag. OK so I can re-cycle the rocks in a separate container BUT you can't do this with corals!

So what do you do to ensure that you don't get infected?

You can't be sure that there aren't any flatworm cysts on anything you put in the tank. It's a chance you take everytime you buy rock, sand, coral, even macro aglae. You can dip these items to kill any actual flatoworms but the cysts won't be killed. The thing is, now that we have flatworm exit, we have a cure if we do get them in our tank.
    Susan

ijo
    in addition to what Flame*Angel said... either get yourself a flatworm eating fish or exit them at first sight... it doesn't take long for these guys to get a hold and once they do... I'm not sure if there is a natural way to get rid of them.

IJO

Susan have you considered (I am now) setting up another tank just to q-t everything beforehand? I originally was planning on a nano but now when it's up I think it'll double as a q-tank for corals. While it's cycling (with l.r.) I think I'll dose just incase!?

Yes you can dose your tank but I'm sure it's a pain to syphon them out

Originally posted by IJO
    in addition to what Flame*Angel said... either get yourself a flatworm eating fish or exit them at first sight... it doesn't take long for these guys to get a hold and once they do... I'm not sure if there is a natural way to get rid of them.

IJO
    I don't want to get a fish just to eat them and even then there are no guarantees that he will eat them or even control them. I'd like to avoid the situation right out.

ijo
    Cake Fan... I doubt you will be able to avoid them... its good practice to dip all new corals before adding them to your tank but if there are eggs or a couple flatties that survived the dip... they will get in your tank... the flatworm eating fish(wrasse?) will make quick work of any that show their face... without this... the flatworms have a lot more time to get a good hold. By the time you notice these guys... I think its to late to go natural("think"). Just my opinion... maybe a few other members could throw in their 2 cents.

IJO

Nah, if you use flatworm exit as soon as you see the first flatworm it's easy, doesn't cause any problems in the tank and doesn't require syphoning. It's only a pain when you have a lot of flatworms. That only happens when you try to go the natural route first.

I've been there. When I got my flatworms there was no such thing as flatworm exit. There were a few other chemicals that "might" work but I refused and decided to try a natural route. 2 years later they were way past out of control and along came flatworm exit. I spent the whole winter siphoning like mad, reducing the tank temp, increasing circulation, feeding nothing that would feed flatworms (had to shut down all my cultures) and then finally I used flatworm exit in the spring. I've never seen another flatworm.

I always keep some FE on hand just in case. Sometimes I dip new corals in FE and sometimes I don't. It depends on where they come from and how much risk I figure there is.
    Susan

The GF said i was muttering "FLATWORMS" in my sleep last night....I WONDER WHY??
    LOL, anyways we both had a good laugh. and im sure you will too.
    Hobby OR Addiction OR Obsession??????

Originally posted by aquamann
    The GF said i was muttering "FLATWORMS" in my sleep last night....I WONDER WHY??
    LOL, anyways we both had a good laugh. and im sure you will too.
    Hobby OR Addiction OR Obsession??????
    Are you kidding? You must be nuts ROFL

Indeed,
    seriously i spent alot of time reading about them yesterday and they stayed in my head lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast