Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

removing fish from tank

I have an infected yellow watchman goby that I need to remove from my tank and put in quaranteen. I ended up re-arranging all the rock-work in my tank last night trying to find him and net him. I didn't see him till a few hours after I was done. Is there an easy or easier way to do this, I really need to get him out of there. Thanks.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Due to the increased bandwidth and resources required by the opening of redundant multiple threads on same/similar subjects, we ask that the SEARCH ENGINE be used more frequently by our users.

This will this lead to a more coherent and pleasing surfing experience on AC, cutting down on the reading of redundant multiple threads on the same subject, therefore freeing your time to inform yourselves in a complete manner with all the informative data that has been collected here.

This effort helps to reduce overhead costs such as diskspace and hardware upgrades and will aid in keeping your web experience here at AC, a fluid .. and seamless experience... i.e we won't make you wait for threads to load like some other sites...

In the meantime, here's a very easy fishtrap that can be made out of a coke bottle or water bottle. I've used it, and it works great!

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...ight=fish+trap
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Eric, I won't second guess your decision to QT your goby. I will ask what is wrong with the goby that you can't treat it in the tank? Goby's seem to be very healthy fish in most cases that I've read about.

In many cases, removing stress and increasing the food (go from flakes to frozen cubes) will allow the fish to heal itself without the added stress to you and it of trying to catch it. Some people find that adding a little garlic juice (crush a garlic and add a drop or two of the juice to the food) is all that is needed.

Vickie

Vickie,

I got this goby in the group buy a little while back, when I received him he seemed to have some type of infection below his lower lip. I thought it would heal and go away, wrong, he now has a hole under his lip. I have started adding garlic to the mysis I feed the tanks with. Yesterday I got home and my lawnmower was dead, he seemed to be doing well the night before. I think this may somehow be related to the goby's infection. I also lost a few peppermint shrimps lately and am not sure why, my cleaners are OK. I did a ~25% change yesterday and tried to remove the goby to medicate him. Any other ideas or suggestions? I have to get a hold of a camera to try and take a picture of the goby's infection, I couldn't figure out what it is from looking on websites.

HI ERIC, how long has your tank been set up? are you testing your water for things like ph,salinity,alk. if your experiencing deaths then something is not right.If everything was right then your goby should of healed up quick. are you using tapwater? how freakquent do you do water changes? skimming and filtration? how do you topoff? all these things will help us help you. SELCON is also very good to let your food soak in.

Hey Johnny,

My 37g tank has been running since January, I do test for ph, amonia, nitrates, nitrites and salinity but can't test for alk and calcium. Everything I can test is good. I use RO/DI or distilled water for water changes and top-off. I change a little more than 10% of the water at about every 3 weeks or so. I do have skimmer, #50 live rock, 2 cleaner shrimps, 2 clown fish. Did I forget anything? It just seems like everything was OK till I got the goby but maybe it's just a coincidence.
    Thanks for the help.

Eric, here's an article on how effective water changes are. Based on this article, I have gone from 10% water changes to 20 to 30%. I don't think it is the problem but offer it for your info.

What temp do you keep your tank at?

Vickie

I don't see a link Vickie.

I keep the tank at 78.

I've made a trap and trying to capture the goby, hasn't happened yet though. Maybe I'll get some Cyclopeeze and Selcon like Johnny said, it might help.

Sorry, Eric. I guess I was in too much of a hurry. Here's the link - http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...2004/short.htm

78 is a little low. I think most people keep their tanks at 80. It's not low enough to cause problems, IMO.

I don't see anything else that I can point at. Hopefully Johnny can help you more.

Vickie

eric

sounds pretty good, you should check ALK, though. 78 shouldn't be a prob I keep mine at 79-80. how is your acclimation of fish? I test the salinity of the water the fish came in and usually its low. Sometimes things just die with no logical explanation. hope it works out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast