Puffer Fish and Moonlight

Hi Everyone,

Does anybody have puffer fish and a moonlight? I installed mine yesterday and my fish normally sleep at night but last night they were up most of the night. What do other peoples puffer fish do at night and how long do fish normally sleep for. I am just concerned they might not be sleeping due to it but they do seem to be happy.

Thank You
    Terry

I wouldnt be too worried. My clownfish if they get tired will just fine a little rut in the sand and sleep for an hour then wake up with full lights on. Doesnt phase them. My fish get about 10 hours of sleep each night
    Anybody can start a reef tank it takes a realy intrest in the hobby to maintain one.

And this is one reason why I'm not a big fan of the whole moonlight thing. It's one thing for a moon to be out in nature and casting a reflection sometimes on the water, but it's awhole different thing for a dim light to be on all the time at night on our tanks. IMO, moonlights should only really be used when they can be controlled to mimic a monthly cycle AND most important ,if we're trying to get something to reproduce/spawn in the tank.

My fish have always slept fine under my moonlights.

If you've ever done a night dive, or snorkled at night you can see how much light the moon truly does reflect down, and if the moonlights are made to replicate the same frequency then they wouldn't distrub the fish at all
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

This is a bit over exposed but you get the point

Yes, I've seen the moonlight at night in the ocean. I'm just questioning the difference between having a light on all the time at night and the actual variances that the real moon will go through over a months period.

Understandable, i'm all for runnign moons on a cycle with the moon, i agree that its much better for the tank inhabitants, i just don't think that it hurts them too much without the cycle.

I run my sets through an x10 controller to simulate the cycle, didn't really cost me anything either i got the controller through the free deal, however i got hooked and wiried my room up with all x10 products
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

The Lights I used are 5mm Ultra Blue 4000MCD LED's I used 6 in parrallel with a voltage regulator from 3.0 to 12v but have set it up for resistors for up to 12v were i normally keep the voltage. I set this up in a 55gal long tank inside the canaopy. Ever since I did this my fish swim all around at night unlike before when they use to sit on the bottom and I assume either sleep or wait for the sun? Anyways not sure if it is good or bad for them have not seen them rest on the bottom for about 4 days now so they must be getting sleep between 4am and 12am when I wake up. I might install a on/off switch on half the tank so that they will have somewhere to go if they would like to sleep. I have some left over leds if anyone is interested sell 10 for $6us incl shipping and required resistors. Let me know if anyone else with puffer fish have moonlights and how many they used and how long they keep them on for and if there fish at night.

Thank You
    Terry