Question What's the difference between calcium carbonate and calcium hydroxide?

What's the difference between Calcium Carbonate and Calcium Hydroxide?
    And if Kalk allows corals etc by use of Calcium Hydroxide to create Calcium carbonate, (I think that's correct, it's from the packaging) then can you just add Calcium Carbonate instead??
    I ask this as I can get 2 kg's of Calcium carbonate for $11 compared to a paltry 100gm of Kalk for $19.
    Ps: Can't find Pickling Lime anywhere!!! and stumbled upon this one and though I'd ask.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

ATC
    Kalk allows corals etc by use of Calcium Hydroxide to create Calcium carbonate
    so if you add calcium carbonate, it does increase your calcium but will also skew your alk (by adding extra CO) unless you add something to address alk at the same time. where as calcium hydroxide is just calicum [Ca(OH)2)] and won't increase your alk....think of bionic you add one part to address calcium and the second part to correct the alk.
    Aven

so then would washing or baking soda fix the lowered alk?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Wouldn't the amount added be proportionate to the Alk decrease, and if the Alk's ok and the c/carbonate is not overdosed would that still have the lowering effect?
    I know that it's not a balanced additive, but if I can use it with another 'home' additive in relative proportions then wouldn't that be ok? (and I can save alot of money!!!!!)

ATC
    i'm having a hard day tiffany i was thinking calcium-chloride when i replyed to your post. so i took a quick look and found this article http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...y2002/chem.htm which explains why you shouldn't supplement with just calcium carbonate (knew you shouldn't but got reasons mixed up ) So if you added something like turbo calc on a regular basis to maintain calcium you could add an alk supplement. i think a posted an alk buffer reciepe that mom rules did for us...let me know if you don't see it and I'll repost it.
    Aven

Thanks.
    I really appreciate the link. I can't find it.

ATC
    courtesy of mom rules
    Ok- since you guys requested I send this info out to you- here it is. Now remember- I am no chemist! However- I got all this from reliable sources. And it has been working for me. I have a 90 gal tank and use NSW . You have to be able to keep track of your pH, your calcium, and you alk, to determine how much to add. It will depend on how much your system uses up.

Alkalinity Buffer
    Buy the biggest box of baking soda you can find. Take out about 1/6 of it and heat it on a clean baking sheet in the oven at about 300F for an hour or so. This will turn it into washing soda. Mix it back into the baking soda. Presto! Alk buffer! I keep mine in a big jar and write on it how much I need to add weekly. My tank takes about 1 TBSP twice a week to keep the alk at 9-11ish. I stir the spoonful of soda into a cupful of RO water until it is all dissolved and slowly pour it directly into my tank where there is good flow. Cheap and easy! And no unwanted supplements.

Calcium Buffer
    I use Kent Turbo. Also very cheap and easy. My tank uses 3/4 tsp twice a week. I mix it into a cup of RO water and SLOWLY add it directly to the tank in a high flow area! (I don't have a sump).

Kalkwasser
    To help keep my pH up I add kalkwasser everynight. It does not have to be dripped. Sometimes I drip it, but sometimes I'm too busy (lazy?). I use about 3/4 tsp in a cup of water and make sure it is well mixed. Cold water is best. I pour it into a high flow area-SLOWLY- and not on top of any corals please. This is best done right after lights out. I check my pH every morning. If It is 8.3 or above in the morning- I skip the kalk that night as it doesn't need it. If it is 8.2 or lower, I add it.

If you want to try this cheap and easy method, be sure to add small amounts and then gradually increase the amounts to get the levels you are after. Once you know what your tank is using, it is very simple to keep it balanced with this method. And very CHEAP! ;-) So I can afford that anthias instead of buying some expensive buffer!
    Aven

Thank you for the post.
    I appreciate your time.