Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Prepaid for a Morrish Idol for the new tank

I stopped in at Aqua Creations yesterday evening to check on a Moorish Idol I've been keeping an eye on since they got him in a little over 3 weeks ago. I had heard that he had gone through a bout with ich but there wasn't a speck of ich left on him. There were two Idols originally and the smaller one didn't survive the ich apparently. Too bad, both were eating voraciously from day one.

He was really looking good and was very active. They have a really big powerhead in the tank he's in and it was very obvious that he loves lots of current. He was kind of playing in it all while I was there. I say kind of because I can tell that this isn't a silly fish, he seems to want to appear dignified or something so he wouldn't want anyone thinking he was playing. But he was! He would swim into it and get as close as he could before turning sideways and letting it blow him back.

There are about a dozen small cleaner shrimp in the tank with him but he doesn't let them on him. They all hang out on the rocks right under the powerheads and when he gets close several will try to jump on him. He never lets them though, it's pretty funny. There's also a small cleaner wrasse in his tank. I normally would never condone these fish in captivity but they have several at the store and all are eating fish food, I've seen them. Still, it's not good to remove them from the ocean as the other fish really need them to clean parasites. The Idol doesn't let the cleaner wrasse on him either.

I figure he's about half grown. He's much taller than he is long and has a very long streamer. His body is about three inches if you include the very long snout. They get to be about six inches but I'd say a six inch Idol would be at least nine inches high plus the streamer! His markings are very distinct and the yellow coloring is quite bright.

I decided to make a commitment and paid for him. They agreed to hold him for me until I have the new tank ready knowing it could be a considerable amount of time. I told them that I won't rush the cycle and they completely understand. I've been a good customer and they've always treated me well. They told me that if for any reason he doesn't make it before I take him they will give me my money back or another fish, my choice. I've named him Gabriel.

I ordered a pair of Tunze 6100 Turbelle Streams for him last night. 3175 GPH each. I figure that should be enough circulation for the whole 8' tank and give Gabriel plenty of current to play in
    Susan

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    :thumb: !!!!!

They are magnificent creatures. Hopefully yours will thrive. If anyone can do it, you can!
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Just 2 years ago I never would have dreamed of getting one and was quite against it ethically. However, times are changing and as we understand more about their needs more and more people have been able to keep them happy and healthy for several years. That's not a lifetime yet but people haven't been successful with them that long. Yet.

A few key things I've discovered in my research:

- They have very high oxygen requirements, more than tangs. A big skimmer and lots of surface agitation is an absolute must.

- They are omnivores but require a strongly varied diet, more than angels even. Sponge and spirulina are key but they also require good quality protein. These fish can not be kept on pellets and flake alone.

- They aren't reef safe but do better in a reef type environment. They need lots of live rock. Possibly because they are picking the sponges off it.

- They like a lot of current and will be stressed without it. I've noticed this already with the one I have on hold.

- They stress more than most fish under the same circumstances and cannot be kept with aggressive tangs, angels, etc.

- Juvenilles will get along toghether but to keep a group of adults you need a public aquarium sized tank. In a home aquarium you're better off with just one. Accounts of sucessful Idols always seem to be in 200g tanks or bigger.

- They don't ship well and the very small or full grown ones often don't make it. A juvenille has the best chance. Idols from Hawaii are almost always healthier on arrival.

- They are often hard to get eating, the juvenilles will adapt more readily than adults. They grow fast on a good diet.
    Susan

I was just at Aqua Creations and he looks great. He seems to tease all of those cleaner shrimp. He gets close to them, but then just swims away.

Flame:

Did you get the controller with the Tunze's?, did you shop around for the best price?, I'd like to know, if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks
    Wayner

Nope, no controller. Actually, I heard back from the guy not long ago. Apparently I can't run 6100's without the multicontroller so I may change my order to 3 6800's. Waiting to hear back.

Shopping around isn't much of an option. Almost everyone is sold out and are having a hard time getting more from Tunze. I'll tell ya where I'm getting mine when it's all confirmed
    Susan

Ok, we got it sorted out. I'm getting them from J&L Aquatics. He checked with Tunze and you can run 6100's without the controller. There is another little box they call a driver that runs them.

They had two in stock that I'm getting. Most of the US places are out of stock and the Americans are buying up the Canadian stock. I didn't ask J&L's if they had any other sizes in stock or not but if anyone is thinking of buying these I'd move quickly.

Andrew - I know what you mean about him teasing the shrimp. It's kind of cute I'm going to get down there this weekend to visit him.
    Susan

Be sure to bring him a treat!!!!

Oooh good idea. Hmmm, maybe I'll chop up some shrimp or scallop for him. They feed him lots of veggies, he loves spirulina flakes. He gets lots of other frozen foods too. I'll bring my camera with me this time too and see if I can get some pictures. I can't wait to bring him home!
    Susan

PICS PICS PICS
    Anybody can start a reef tank it takes a realy intrest in the hobby to maintain one.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast