Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flatworms in Fuge

I've got a 55 gal fuge that feeds the main tank by gravity. A few weeks ago I noticed a growing population of flatworms. There seemed to be two types. Bigger red ones and smaller green ones.

I isolated the fuge from the main tank and treated with Flatworm exit at double the normal dose. I did a 50% water change and put it back online with carbon. The next day the Red worms were gone but the little green guys are back.

Last week I did treated the tank again with at least a triple dose for about 6 hours. One week latter the little green guys are back.

So three questions. . .

Should I worry about flatworms in the fuge in the first place? There is no sign of them in the display tank.

Are the green ones better than the red ones?

Any idea about how to kill them without wiping out all of the good cool stuff in the fuge? (I even have baby jellyfish).

Thanks,

Bill

The green ones are OK from reading Dr. Ron's forum on Reef Central. It is only the red ones to worry about. I'll do a search and see if I can find that info again.

Vickie

Unfortunately there are some flatworms that flatworm exit just doesn't work on. It's GREAT for the typical red ones (Convolutriloba retrogemma) that are usually cause problems in aquariums. You should be aware that the same flatworms can have different colorations at different stages in their life cycles. A dull olive green is one of those stages. They don't reproduce much at this stage.

There are also completely different green flatworms. These don't tend to become a plague in numbers but are actually worse because they are coral eaters, here's a pic:

Some other coral eating flatworms appear almost transparent or have just a slight greyish tinge to them.

If I were you I'd try to identify exactly what flatworms you have and then decide on an appropriate course of action. Ron Shimek's site has some good pics here:
    http://www.rshimek.com/rogue's_gallery.htm
    He would also probably agree to help you identify the species if you ship him a few samples. He's done this for me in the past.
    Susan

If they are in the fuge they WILL amke it to the main tank. However, as posted above, the green ones aren't bad and they don't populate like the red ones. In fact I had green ones that were there and then totally disappeared. IThey populate on a cycle. My six line wrasse also picks them off which helps. I would get the tank running for a bit and watch for the red ones to return. With all those doses, I doubt they will anytime soon. Good Luck
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Thanks,

I think I'll let them do their thing for a while and see what happens. If they make it into the main tank it will be my excuse to get a mandarin!

Bill

Bill,

I've had flatforms migrate from my main tank to my fuge. Its been that way for quite a while. I do have a six-line wrasee which may also be helping.

I wouldnt worry about them being in your fuge at all.

Otto

Thanks,

I think you are right. I have low flow in my fuge and monster flow in my main tank. I think they like it where it is quiet.

Bill

I would still try to get rid of them if it was me. I would rather have cepopods in my fuge than flatworms
    Anybody can start a reef tank it takes a realy intrest in the hobby to maintain one.

I would like to know where you got them from.

I had a big problem with them for 2 years in my 75g reef. I know where I got them from, and I don't go there anymore for livestock. The only way I was able to rid my tank of them was to break it down, use a toothbrush on all my rock, siphon the gravel gunk into a filter floss and set it back up in a 30g tank. It has been a full year since I moved everything and still flatworm free.

ijo
    Many companies would like to be flatworm free but this takes a ton of dedication and work as Canada is infested with them.

AC is small and can handle dosing the corals before adding them to our holding tanks... and even with this precaution.. there is no gaurantee we will not get them... to drop a vendor for having flatworms is a bit extreme... dropping a vendor for not trying to take care of the problem would be more reasonable.

Don't get me wrong.. flatworms are a terrible thing... but every vendor will get them eventually... its what they do afterwards that counts.

Try and get into the habit of dosing all corals before adding them to your setup... one or two drops in a gallon while acclimating is a small insurance step that could save you a ton of headaches later on.

IJO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast