Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FreshWater Dip

FreshWater Dip

Ok I was at a local LFS yesterday afternoon, just checking out their stock. They always have good stock, but at a rather higher price than the other stores around here. I noticed that an employee placed an Angel in a smaller tank, and when asked if it was a quarantine tank, he said no it was a freshwater tank, he then set the timer to 7min. and left.

I have heard of doing a freshwater dip b4, but not for 7min....this poor fish looked really stressed out. Is a 7min dip really needed?

Thanks

I'd never fresh water dip a fish and certainly not a flame angel. Extremely stressful. I don't know if the fish had some parasites or whatever but there are so many less stressful ways of dealing with that kind of thing. Sounds cruel to me.
    Susan

Flame .. Fresh water dipping is not that stressful when done correctly. i used to freshwater dip all my fish and I can not say that i even lost any as a result of the dip. I also used dip-X with good results. The fish is only left in the fresh water for a few minutes and it kills a lot of parasitic buddies that can be on the fishes skin under scale's etc.
    Rob

In the past, I have used FW dip many times to cure ich on tang with bleue methylene. That really works, and I never have lost a fish because of it. According to WetWebmedia a FW dip should be for at least 5 min and for a max of 10 min. It'is not supposed to be useful and only stressfull when used for least than 5 minutes. Bleue methylene can be used, it is not toxic if you put only 2-3 drops per gallons( you could probably put more with no problem) and it's help to oxygenete the water and it help to kill parasite.

Here is the link to the wetwebmedia :http://www.wetwebmedia.com/dips_baths.htm

It is important to look in book or on the net and ask to people if your species of fish will tolerate it, some sopecies will DIE if you do it to them !!!!!! (REALLY IMPORTANT) It is a safe procedure if done correctly but you have to know what you are doing. Every one who would like to use it should read a lot about it!!!! I am a human and I am wrong sometimes

That's a good link and you are correct .. the more delicate the fish the more care must be taken. I never used to adjust the PH but that sounds like a REAL good thing to be doing.
    Rob

I dunno. I've read a few books that suggest dipping all new fish but I don't agree with it personally. I think if a fish shows signs of something while in quarantine that can't be treated with something in their water then maybe but not just as a matter of course. I've never dipped any of my fish and have never had ich or any other disease or parasite.
    Susan

I agree with you Susan. To me it seems very cruel. If I was concerned about a fish, I would use a QT tank until I knew what was wrong and treat accordingly.

Each of us has to decide for ourselves what is best for our tanks so I am not saying anyone is cruel - just that is why I would not do it.

Vickie

I once had a Niger Trigger in a client's tank that had the most persistant case of ick I've ever seen. Over the course of two monthes I gave it aprox. 6 fwds. I started at 4 minutes and the last one I gave it was 23 minutes!!!! He survived just fine ( I can't say he liked it very much, though....) After that, when I walked into the room he was gone behind the rocks in a flash.
    Fresh water dips can't be THAT bad because I've only once seen a fish die from one, and I've done quite a few. IMO, it is a quick and effective treatment when done properly.
    And by the way, copper can be lethal and damaging when not used properly, too. And swimming around in antibiotics for weeks probably isn't very pleasant either.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I'm with Reefmutt on this one. It works very well on tangs and we all know how difficult it is to treat tangs due to the mucus coating their skin has. As for cruel .. If you can even be cruel to a fish ... I would have to say it is crueler to not treat a life threating disease in the most effective way that you can. Sometimes the medicine tastes bad .. but it works.
    Rob

i just recieved my hippo tang did a 45min drip,then i put him in main tank he starting to show pencil tip white marks on him ,is this ick ,and to remove this is fw dips realy help?what parameters does the fw need to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast