Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lighting for Clams

I am goign to be running a 150 watt MH 6 inches abouve my tank will this be enough light for a clam? also runnign 2 30 watt actinics
    Anybody can start a reef tank it takes a realy intrest in the hobby to maintain one.

Depends on how deep your tank is.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

I think it will be enough on a fourty gallon. Clams can tolerate lower light, but what they can't tolerate is fluctuating alkalinity and calcium levels so watch your parameters. Clams are not as forgiving as mushrooms and star polyps.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Thats okay i am ready for it. I want enought light for them so even if they move to the bottom they will still have enough light. Bu i mean they will be placed all over.
    Anybody can start a reef tank it takes a realy intrest in the hobby to maintain one.

I think your light is fine- They would probably like more, but it is sufficient.
    Matt.

I have two clams doing great in my 66gal under 4 48" VHOs and 2 48" NOs, I've had them on the sand and raised up on the rocks.

what kind of clams/ different clams need different lighting intensitys and sizes of clams comes into play. Lets take the average tank depth of 24'' a DERESEA or SQUAMOSA might be okay on the sand with 150w and actinics but I say might! more is better.
    T.CROCEAS and T. MAXIMAS: will need much more light than that even at the top of the tank for long term success.250w to 400w is highly suggested. for instance, I have both T. CROCEA and T.MAXIMA in my 75g under a 400w with VHO actinics and there right at the top. I could move them down with this lighting if I wanted to. 250w I wouldn't put them near the bottom. all clams need to be fed phyto no matter the size but clams under 3'' need to be fed heavy as they rely mostly on phytoplankton. as they get older and larger they use more light/less food.
    clams can look like there doing great then poof! there gone over night because there using up stored energy if there requirments aren't met.
    keep CROCEAS and MAXIMAS in the rockwork. CROCEAS like to actually burn them selfs into the rock [so to speak] while MAXIMAS attach by bysal gland.
    DERESEAS and SQUAMOSA attach as well but when large they usually ditch the foot because they no longer need it. A yellow wrasse or sixline is desired with clams as they hunt PYRANID[spelling?] snails that will irritate and kill clams by eating there way thru the bysal gland/foot or between the mantle and shell. they come out at night and dusk. always check the shell for the rice looking pests.

Well i plan on getting fish that will eat these snails. I will probally want to keep a little of all of them but i will start with my halide then when i move to a bigger tank i am upgrading to 400 watt VHo's

Johnny, you've obviously done your research, and I don't disagree with a thing, but I've kept a crocea and a derasa under 6x 40w for 5 years and counting. In a 24 inch tall tank. They would have been happy under brighter light but it is not essential to have mega lighting for clams. The Ultra grade clams come from brighter areas than regular clams, so they may need a little more, but in general it isn't lack of light (unless we are talking like one bulb over the tank) that kills them. It's the other parematers that play an important role in their health and longevity. A tank with a little nitrate would be good too. I've heard of people in europe who keep many clams in a tank dosing ammonium chloride to supplement their diets.
    Imagine, having to dose ammonia, now doesn't that go against all the rules!!
    Matt.

REEFERMUTT

are your clams on the sandbed or rockwork with your lighting?
    I'm glad for sure that its working for you and I whole heartedly agree with the water parameters being in check.Just all my research tells me that most keep T.MAXIMA and T. CROCEA in high light. It also might play a part in there coloration. your conditions work for you and thats great but if someone was asking me the opptimum conditions for these clams I would suggest MH lighting. you might have 6x40w but thats not point source lighting like MH . NO or VHO lighting also doesn't penetrate water as well.All the clam experts [KNOPPS] suggest high light as well. That being said things are always changing I to have kept and keep DERESEA,CROCEA and MAXIMA.
    P.S you'll be hardpressed to measure for NITRATES with clams in your tank. Thats the beauty of keeping clams in a reef/fish tank that gets heavy feedings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast