Thread: Sps Food

Cool Sps Food

Well, I now added GOLDEN PEARLS to my CYCLOP EEZE and PHYTO regime and I can't believe the reaction of the corals! polyp extensions galore! I normaly feed at night but did in the dawn phase of my tank and was shocked. I even noticed a few corals release some sort of slime as if to capture more food? anyone feeding SPS notice this on any of there corals?
    It seemed to happen with most of my BALI slimmer frags.

Yup, I've been feeding golden pearls for years. Before I started I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about but now I can't imagine keeping SPS without them. I've seen that slime web thing too. I've always wondered if it was the corals themselves or some of those funny hard shelled little tube worms that I have living in with them. My tank has tons of those.
    Susan

I ordered golden pearls and cyclops eeze last weel, my coral food is going to be, phytoplex, golden pearls cyclops eeze, shrimp, scallop and salmon ( for color ) all blended to a fine mush in a food processor as per eric's recommendations from RC
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

Susan,

Are you using golden pearls along with the your original live-food feedings?

Sounds interesting!

Keep us posted on other observations....

Yup, still feeding the live phyto - 3/4 cup in the morning and 3/4 cup at night. I feed about a quarter teaspoon of golden pearls every night after the lights go out. I do it then because the clams are pretty much closed up for the night. Clams don't like golden pearls.
    Susan

Sounds like it is time to order up some golden pearls. If Susan and Johhny endorse it, I can't go wrong. I'll fire up the phyto culture again as well. (Now where did I put all those air pumps and tubing???)

Yup sonds like it time for golden pearls as well. They should work well with my softies and few LPS.

Guys - just be careful to go easy at first. The corals LOVE it but if you add too much too fast you'll get a nitrate spike and an algae bloom. It takes time for it to build up in the water before you'll notice it. I started out with just one "Salifert snortn' spoon" a day and worked up to a quarter teaspoon. Now and then I'll sneak in a half teaspoon if I feel the corals need a little help.

I find it best to get some tank water in a little mug or something and then add the powdered golden pearls to that. Mix well and rub out any lumps then add to the tank. If you have a new frag or something you can target feed with a turkey baster.
    Susan

I target feed all my corals, clams and bta now. I use a syringe from a test kit. I use coralife invert gumbo for now. Its all that was available locally. I will be mixing it with the freeze dried cylop - eeze I got from Ivan. So far so good.