Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ID Please

ID Please

Hi,

After battling a huge hair algea bloom, my livestock is now visible again. It was pretty bad the hair algae had literally covered everything in the tank.

I have hundreds of these off springs growing in the tank, I am not sure what they are (there is one on the glass as well), and a few on my PH.

They look like cacoons and have fan tip similar to feather dusters, they are all white at the moment and are growing ata good pace. My initial tought was that it may be an Hawaiian Feather Duster, but since they do not reproduce in captivity I am kind of lost.

What could this be?, I hope they are not a pest.

Thanks

Venki

U r right they are feather duster worms but they are not hawiian feather dusters. The little guys are whit right and do they have a spiral shell. Well they are minature dusters. Same with another kind. There are little red ones seen also they have a tube more like the Hawiians but they only stay about this big l--l thats about how big their fan gets. There are so many known dusters that its hard to tell what ind they are. Think you can get a pic. I have them little whit ones with the spiral shell in my tank. Second though if they are microscopic they are the actual worms looking for a spot to build their shells. I have seen them on my glass really nothin to worry about.
    Anybody can start a reef tank it takes a realy intrest in the hobby to maintain one.

The glass is covered with those white sprial stuff.

but the ones I am talking about are different, they are not spiral. They are kind of striaght and as they grow in size the cacoon around them falls off.

Some of these have grown to about 1" lenght now.

Venki

O welll i have no clue then they might be a acucumber or a sea appple or maybe feather dusters.
    Anybody can start a reef tank it takes a realy intrest in the hobby to maintain one.

Venki,
    Can you post a pic of them. They could very possibly be some type of sponge or tunicate if not one of the many worms or snails that come out of the rockwork. Definitely NOT something like a Sea Apple or cuke.

Will try to take a pic tonight, but my skills at picture taking are really bad, I am not sure if I can get a clear shot.

Venki

Here is pic, it is hazzy. I have circled it in the pic.

Thanks

Venki

Hummmm, tough to see well.....Got another pic?

Venki,
    I'd really like to help you but MAN!!!! Your picture taking skills sucks big time!!!!: Well..., you did warn us that it wouldn't be good...., try to get another one, at least a clearer pic if you can't get any closer so tat the details can be seen somewhat. For now though, I'm going with a sponge of some type. Might change once I can see more details...

I can't figure out how to post a link (cuz I'm computer illiterate), but in the members gallary, I posted a photo of a sponge (?) that I think looks similar to yours. Check it out, and let us know if it looks about right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast