Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Update on Sascha the big pink bully - or - Raistlin finally grows a pair

I don't know what happened or why but about noon yesterday Raistlin, the poor tortured ornate leopard wrasse that Sascha, the big squarespot anthias, has kept under the sand for almost 2 weeks finally decided enough is enough. He came up from the sand and stayed up the rest of the day. He ate TONS of food and was up before breakfast and for the whole day today.

Mind you up doesn't exactly mean normal. He's being pretty much confined to the far left end of the tank behind the rocks but if he made 50 attempts to stay out yesterday he made 500 today. Sascha is showing signs of tiring of the game. If he can just hold his nerve I suspect this will all be behind us in a few more days.

It's the strangest thing I've ever seen with fish. Nothing I did helped, if anything I probably made matters worse. Nothing changed with Sascha or with Bianca, the bicolor angel and Sascha's little partner in crime. It was all with Raistlin. He's always been the wimp of the tank even though he's almost 6" long. I guess he must have realized either I stand up for myself or I starve. I am very glad he made this decision.

Whew!
    Susan

That's great!! Nice to see he's standing up for himself now.

excellent susan...im happy for you ..
    now i order you to go drink a bottle of wine LOL

Hey .. that's good news Flame ... It's always a major bummer to get fish out of fully decorated tanks. The bigger the tank the harder it is to do.
    Rob

good to hear flame. Must be a healthy fish to be hidden for two weeks and survive the ordeal and come back with avengence. Now go have a drink and relax.

Thanks guys, I did celebrate a bit last night He's up again today and looking great. Before all this started he was in his prime. That's probably the only reason he survived this.

At some point I do still need to get that big anthias out of there though. He's moving to the new 300g when the time is right. I'm going to try a few trap ideas people have given me first though.
    Susan

When do u think it will be ready for fish (the 300 gallon)
    Anybody can start a reef tank it takes a realy intrest in the hobby to maintain one.

I'll have the equipment ready by mid June. It depends on when I can afford to buy the live rock and sand. At the latest I should be stocking in early August. If I can get a quickie web job in the meantime (working on 4 right now) it could be sooner. I can't rush the cycle but the sooner I can get the rock curing in there the sooner I'll be ready to start the tank.

I think I'm going to hire a contractor next week to fix the hall doorway issue. This is the doorway now:

This is what I want it to be (please ignore the choppy PhotoShop job):

This is what I'm considering doing for the front wall finish (rendered):

I'll want to have the hallway door & the vent duct put in before I fill the tank but I may just do the front wall after the rock is in while it's curing. Still not sure I like the dark colours but I still have some time to play with that yet. It does go with the black back of the tank though.
    Susan

aren't fish just the wierdest creatures sometimes! thats awsome new susan. that rendering for your stand front, what is that? I'm contemplating on actually using real rock mortered to the front of the stand as all sump access will be in the back[probaly]. I'll do the surrounding wall as well to make it have that cave appearance.

Glad to hear he's ok and eating

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast