Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Maroon Clown - Gold Stripe

Maroon Clown - Gold Stripe............i have one that is white striped will they go together???

i think so,
    the white striped one's tend to be more agressive tho. good luck.
    it all depends on the sizes of the fish too. make sure you get a few more opinions before jumping the gun

Check out the RC forum on clownfishes. There is an entire section dedicated to pairing. Maroons must be paired differently than other clownfishes.

To answer your question, I believe (and I may be wrong, so don't quote me), the white stripe and gold stripe are the same species, just a variation, so they should get along, if they choose to.

It's just a geographical colour variation.

They'll pair for you. Just make sure the new gold stripe is smaller than the original. Even if the new clown is much larger, the little one won't back down from defending it's territory.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

I'd take sara's advice, maroons don't just pair up like perculas or ocelaris or others and they are WAY less tolerant of other maroons. Maroons are very agressive- you might get away with it in a 130- but it would be sheer luck if they pair up.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

For many people who attempt to pair maroons the same way as other clowns discover one dead maroon and another one ripped to shreds. It is suggested by the breeding expert on RC that your female be no less than 3 inches (from nose to cardinal fin) long, and your juvinile be no longer than 1 inch (from nose to cardinal fin). After acclimating the juvie, place him in a specimen jar (or equivilant). The container must be see-through so the the female may get a good view. Once she stops trying to attack the juvie, he may be released, but keep a close eye. If he is attacked fiercely, he may need to be moved and try the procedure again. After three times, this may be considered failed, and you need a new juvie. Now, the neat thing about the maroon submission ritual is: when the subissive male is attacked, he will duck the attack, move to the side of the female, and kiss her spine or pectoral fin.

All this and more info on the RC forum. Read it before attempting a pairing.

ijo
    ahhh... this could be why I'm having such a hard time.... I've been moving the poors guys into their own tanks cause they were taking such a beating. Time to go do some reading...

IJO

Canadian Guy it doesnt matter which clown is bigger as long as one is bigger than the other and the larger one is first in the tank. Consult the book Clownfish by joyce D. Wilkerson she goes through the pairing method step by step and she has pair the yellow and the white stripe before. Another good way is to put a barier in the tank where the small one can go see the larger one but the larger one cant get to the smaller one. When the little ones runs to saftey out of site this shows submission and eventually the larger will allow the smaller into the hole tank. This method my work sara but you can get a larger maroon clown with some damage on its head from trying to attack the smaller clown in hard glass. could lead to infection. Like i said before i would consult clownfish by joyce D wilkerson not only does it tell you how to pair but it tells you how to breed them and a step by step instruction on how to raise clownfish fry.
    Anybody can start a reef tank it takes a realy intrest in the hobby to maintain one.

still better off going on RC and looking for experiences. IMO

for sure aquamann i was just saying that there is a book out there dedicated to clowns and that pair maroons is shown in there set by step.
    Anybody can start a reef tank it takes a realy intrest in the hobby to maintain one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast