Question Which Metal Halide Bulbs

It's soon time for me to change out my halide bulbs, had them for over 10 months now. I'm trying to decide which type to run this time around.

I'm using a standard PFO 2x250w ballast.

Currently, I'm running 2x250 XM 20000K bulbs. I really like the asthetics of them, but I've read they aren't as intense as some other bulbs available. My main reason for using the XM 20K's was because I didn't want to foot the bill to add VHO actinics right away.

What's everyone's opinions on the perfect bulbs for my ballast? I like a blue look to the tank, just like the the XM's give me.....but would say 2 Ushio 10K's with an icecap 660 running vho actinics give the same look with higher intensity? I used 2x400 ushio 10k's on my previous tank with NO actinic and it was too yellow for my taste.

Anywho, sorry so long winded, lemme know what you think.
    Also, what's the cheapest place in Canada to buy bulbs/lighting from?
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

ijo
    I heard the xm's are great lamps but have 'yet' to try them myself... I would go with 2x 250 watt Venture 10k(true 14k color) if you must change lamps.

Try and go for a lamp that gives you a color you like without VHO then add VHO to give you a little more blue or white depending on your color choice.

Hope this helps.

IJO

What is the life span of MH bulbs and how much do they change with time ?
    Rob

I"d stick with the 20k's i really like them, they are what i use
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

Thanks for the suggestions.

Rob: I THINK the lifespan on the XM's is around a year...give or take a couple months. I've read some people replace them every 8 months...some 9...some 12...etc...

I've been using these for around 9 months...and I bought them used from a guy who said he used them for around 1 month or so.

As for how much they change with time...I dunno. They slowly begin to shift from the blue towards the red spectrum over time which can cause unwanted algae growth...which I have been experiencing a little bit lately.....hrm decisions decisions!

I think that depends a lot on the bulb. The bluer bulbs- 20k loose their spectrum sooner than 10 k and the 6500 Iwasakis last even longer. I've used 20 k radiums, Ushio Blue (-aprox. 20k), slightly more blue than radium and Ive tried 20k XM even more blue than Ushio. I'd say that after 10-12 months they are done, the 10 ks might go a little longer. I've run Iwasakis for 18 months.
    It also has to do with the type of ballasts used. Some, like PFO overdrive the bulbs at a higher wattage so they burn out even faster.
    I think my next bunch of bulbs will be 10 k. More intensity than 20k and slightly longer life- not as blue, but I've got lots of actinic
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Is this information made available by the manufacturers. It should be taken into account when buying unless they are all in the same lifespan range from one to the next.
    Rob

Originally posted by reefmutt
    I think my next bunch of bulbs will be 10 k. More intensity than 20k and slightly longer life- not as blue, but I've got lots of actinic
    This is the type of setup I may be leaning towards this time around. Gonna have to start pricing I guess. :bawling:

Rob: I'm really not sure if the specific lifespan is made available by the manufacturers..good question...Imma try and find out!

azonic

If your wanting good color without VHO ACT,at this point you have a few opptions. The VENTURE 10K is a great idea as it is the same lamp as the PFO 13K which has great coloration! the CORALVIEW is also a good lamp that had some issues of bad lamps and bleaching. apparently they have this solved but???
    SUNAQUATICS also make a good lamp.these are all lamps for your standard PFO ballast which I run as well but I'm in the 400w range. The XM's are realling getting great reviews! as well but I'll let Ivan try before I buy I've never try'd 20k but like what I've seen only prob, is they shift to quick apperently for my budget and I find then a tad dim for my liking.