Thread: Algae Question?

Algae Question?

Hi Everyone,

I have two different colour algae growing in my tank on my heater its green and on the filter and a little on the glass it is red. I usually every two weeks when I do the water changes scrub it off the tank. Is there such a thing as good algae on the glass and the filter and should i remove it both of the glass and the filter.

Thank You
    Terry

Terry,

It's not so much that algae is bad. It's just that most of it isn't very nice to look at. Algae actually filters your water somewhat. You can probably leave it if you don't mind how it looks. Just make sure it doesn't get out of control.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

The issue is that if it is just a spot here and there, then it's up to you whether on not to remove it. But if it is becoming a problem or spreading, you should look into the potential causes and do something about it. Now is the time to deal with algea because once it gets rolling, it's WAY harder to deal with.
    If we new how old the tank was and what your phosphate and nitrate levels were as well as whether you use r.o. or tap water...fish load, corals, lighting etc etc we could give you a more informed answer
    When you say scrub, do you mean that it is a hard calcerous algea on your glass, or just a stubborn patch of red?
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I dont have a phosphate test kit so i am not sure but my nitrate and nitrite is 0. I change the water every two week 25% with RO/DI with 3TDS. I have a fish only tank with two monster puffer fish 55gal. The algae comes off no problem but I need to scrape it off i would say every 4 days maybe the size of your hand full in total it is not thick and almost barely visible so small that when i scape it off nothing goes into the tank. I have had this setup for 3 years now just changed the bulbs 20watt t5 caralife and am noticing a little bit more than normal but nothing drastic it is also sunny now and it was not for the past 5 months

thank You
    Terry

Fish only..well then, you'ra all good. I wouldn't worry about it. those are generous w.c.s which is good for two big, eating machine, puffers.
    The red is probably a cyano bacteria or red slime algea and the green could be cyano if it is sort of a mat, or simple algea. Neither of which are really a concern with your set up.
    Removal is really a matter of aesthetics- up to you...
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high